Do I have to upgrade to iOS 8.0 now?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ScottishCaptain, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Both my iOS devices (an iPhone 4S and iPad 2) appear to have been mysteriously hosed overnight with little or no explanation as to what has happened. In either case, the device just sits there in iTunes during sync as "Waiting for changes to be applied". This never completes, if I cancel the sync then both devices act like they're still syncing (spinning arrows in the status bar) and subsequent syncs will never start. I have to reboot both devices to try again, but that never seems to change anything.

This has happened before, and my usual solution was to just nuke both devices and do an iTunes restore (big whoop, they'd be done copying stuff by the time I got up the next morning).

I have a suspicion that this is caused by something on Apple's end, since nothing ever changes over here when they simply decide to stop syncing. There's nothing in Console.app or the device logs (via Xcode) that would explain this behaviour, nonetheless it seems to creep up at the most random of times and require a reformat to correct (it's fixed itself once- but only after ~6 hours of "waiting for changes to be applied").

So my question is this...

With Apple discontinuing signing on 7.x, do I absolutely have to upgrade to iOS 8 if I need to restore my devices? I still have the IPSW for 7.1.2 (which both devices are running), not that it does a lot of good if iTunes doesn't cache the signing stuff anywhere. I'd click the button and find out, but I'm worried that might send my devices into some un-reversible upgrade mode (at which point I won't have a choice but to upgrade).

-SC

2. eww7633 macrumors regular

Yes you have no choice. iOS 7 isn't getting signed anymore. Apple did not purposely make your devices stop syncing.

3. Act3 macrumors 65816

I feel sorry for you, stay away if you can. Try a hard reset?