Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi,

I have often heard that it is safer to use a Standard Account for normal computing and keep an "Admin" account separate, but it bugged me to have two accounts.

Once I began to use File Vault 2 I thought I could only sign into my Mac initially with the Admin account and would have to log out and switch over to the standard account every time I turned my computer on, which was never going to happen, but I just found out that I can sign in with my Standard account from the beginning if I give it permissions.

So my question is...

Do I really need to separate my accounts? What security measures are in place when I use my standard account vs the Admin if I can just use the Admin password when I need it (like I do now)?

Also, are any changes made in a Standard account (such as files downloaded for school or software installed) carried over to the admin account or would I have to transfer that new content over if I ever decided to delete a standard account?

Thank you so much! This forum is the best!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
On Mac OS X there is no gain to have two accounts in that fasion. Only on Windows 2000/XP and Vista/7 with UAE turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.