Do I have to use Quicktime Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evan g, Feb 22, 2008.

1. evan g macrumors regular

I found an MP3 file that I wanted, but when I saved it by hitting APPLE - S, the MP3 wouldn't play at all. I saw that you can just save it as a source, but you have to have Quicktime Pro to do that. Is there any way I can do this without purchasing Quicktime Pro?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

yeah you have to have QTP

no you do not HAVE to pay for it, but you should... :)

3. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Where do you live? Quicktime is only $29.00 U.S

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

QT Pro will do this (and for me is totally worth the $29), but you shouldn't need it--if you can get to the URL of the MP3 file in question you can save it easily enough without anything additional.

You might try the "view source" option and search for .mp3--hopefully that'll turn up the URL of the file you want. If you find it, you can just copy it and paste it into the window, and it should come up, then save and you should be good.

If that (or something similar) is what isn't working--you get an unusable file--then try another browser (for example, Camino if you're using Safari, or vice versa). Should be fine. Or copy the URL and paste with Safari's download window in the front--it should immediately start downloading.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

of course you do NOT need it.

goto any browser's media info, you can probably save it right there.

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Here's how to download any media that you see or hear in your safari browser window.

When the page is in a window, go to Window > Activity, from that list find the media file you want to download such as a songname.mp3 or youtube_flashvideo.swf, click on it and then hit copy. Now open Window > Downloads and hit paste.

Voila.

This lets you download mp3s, youtube video, or anything else you can see or hear on a webpage.

8. kezza macrumors newbie

Thanks from this newbie

I have found this forum excellent for information ( I have just switched from PC to Mac and love it ) and thanks to motulist :) in regard to downloading mp3 ( I think buying quicktime pro a bit of a rip off) but thanks to you , have solved yet another problem I was beginning to have sleepless nights about ... well not quite !

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Quicktime Pro has far more features than just being able to save video and music files. It is actually quite a good simple video editor as well. I'd say it is definitely worth the money.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd say it's more accurate to say that it's definitely worth the money if you use the more advanced features. If you just want an easy save popup and fullscreen, it's something of a ripoff, so it's not the best idea for many users.

If, however, you use it as a compression tool, it's a good deal, and toss in the media authoring capabilities (adding/extracting tracks from movies without recompression, streaming prep, simple editing, masking, etc), an even better one.

11. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Still can't believe Apple used to expect you to pay for QuickTime Pro just to view full screen videos.

I think with the amount of money they are making else where in their business, they'll probably offer the pro features for free when QuickTime X comes out with Snow Leopard.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

This tip rules, finally an easy way to save embedded stuff without having to open the source, copy the url of the file and then make your own html href link to download it, even works with youtube.

13. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

You even can double click on the stuff and it starts downloading!
    Thank you motulist!!! MacTip of the year!!! wohoo!!