Do I have to worry about scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 15, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Held my iPhone up to the light today.. have a scratch on the button and a scratch on the screen. But it's barely visible.

2. appleg33k macrumors member

you only have to worry about scratches if you care about having scratches on your iPhone. if not, then you don't have to worry about it. :p

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Held mine up to the light earlier today and noticed a scratch on my home button as well. Right above the square. Not noticeable under regular lighting so I don't care.

Unless its really noticeable and you're not ocd searching for them, shouldn't be a problem.

4. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

I was in fact OCD and searching for them.
    I don't think these kinds of scratches will ever show up as something I notice when the screen is on, right?

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Maybe a few will be in sunlight or under bright lights at certain angles, but otherwise no.

6. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Go take a look at your car, and notice all the "spider web" scratches it has. You spent 10-100x more (depending on your car) than you did the iPhone. A few little scratches here and there isnt a big deal, now is it? :rolleyes:

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You don't have to worry about anything. You choose to let the minor scratches get to you ;)

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You're forgetting scale. An inch-long scratch on the iPhone is the equivalent of, what - a two foot long scratch on a car? Yup, a two foot long scratch on my car would probably bug me, too. ;)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One of the first things we did with my wife's IP4 phone was to slap a ghost armor skin on that puppy. We let one of those folks who sell them in the mall install it over doing it myself.

given the volume of threads about scratches (front and back) I figured it was 35 bucks well spent.

While I do think the glass is durable, I don't think the coating is. The olephobic coating on the 3Gs that I had wore off and made it look worse then if it had no coating. Personally, I hate the coating because its not infused into the glass but coated which means it can get scratched off or worn off.

10. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Yes you have to worry about it. As soon as your iPhone gets scratched, It means your iPhones time on this planet is coming to an end, and nothing can stop it from going to the beyond.

of course you don't :) my iPhone doesn't have a scratch yet :confused: after 3 weeks of usage. My iPad now has scratches but I can't see them unless i hold it at an angle but once i get my fingerprints all over it then i forget all about it :) Of course if this happened the week i got my iPad i'd probably have fainted on the spot :eek:

It's normal to get scratches, If your worried get some screen protectors. Theres alot of good makes but I found that cheap 10 packs for about £1 on ebay work just as good. The protectors get scratched like mad in your pocket but hey its only a cheap bit of plastic and not your iPhones nice shiny smooth screen :)

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Definitely worry! What will all your friends think about you if you phone is scratched? You will carry this stigma with you for the rest of your life. Definitely a sad day for mankind.

12. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I had the original iPhone. I never used a case or screen protection. Over time it got scratches, especially on the back. I never once noticed the scratches when I was using it though. As long as it does not affect performance then for me it is a non-issue.

13. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

If you have to worry about it is up to you. If scratching on your phone bothers you then yes, you kind of do.

My boss doesn't care about his iPhone 4 and he has scratched the **** out of it. It looks terrible and he has only had it a little over a week.

He somehow got these very deep grooved scratches on the bottom left (shown) and top:

[​IMG]

On the back he has the case in a Griffin Reveal. What happens is stuff gets inside the case and ruins the back, those white spots are little scratches:

[​IMG]