Do I have virus on my MacBook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cemcemgs, Dec 5, 2009.

1. cemcemgs macrumors newbie

I opened a file that came through a contact yesterday. When I opened it a small black screen came up. There were some writings that were coming on it. I saw "..... .....'s Mac Book" (... .... is the name I registered my MacBook). I was afraid so I shut downed my macbook. When I turned it on back again I downloaded ClamXav, ran a virus check and it turned out to be clean. I had deleted the file right away.

I am not %100 sure about the situation. What might I do to make sure that it is safe? Any chance my files or data might be stolen or hacked?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You do not need two threads but no, I doubt you have a virus. Typically to get a virus on a mac you have to physically (and knowingly) install something. Did you do that?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability.

From Symantec:
    As of this time, there are NO viruses in the wild that affect current Mac OS X. In the past, there have been a few viruses that ran on older versions of the Mac operating system, but no longer.

There are, as of this time, trojans that can affect Mac OS X, but these must be downloaded and installed by the user, which involves entering the user's administrator password. Trojans can easily be avoided by the user exercising common sense and caution when installing applications. A common source of trojans is pirated software, typically downloaded from bit torrent sites.

Having virus protection software on your Mac is pointless, as far as protecting your Mac from viruses, since AV software can't detect a virus that doesn't exist. It is possible to have a file reside on your hard drive that contains a Windows virus, but since a Windows virus (program) can't run in native Mac OS X, it would be harmless to your Mac. Some choose to run AV on their Mac to scan for Windows viruses, so the Mac user can't pass a virus-infected file to a Windows user. In my opinion, a Windows user should be protected by their own AV software, so the burden of protection lies with the Windows user.

4. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

what file was it what type of file?

your most likely safe, but if you got the file on mail or something you can never be sure.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There a NO (repeat NONE, 000000.00000, ZERO, NADA, NJENTE, KEINE, ....) viruses for Mac OS X, otherwise the world wide wet would wet itself.

Maybe you had a file, that opens Terminal which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Or it was some other kind of software, we don't know, as you can't tell us more as it seems.

There are trojans for Mac OS X, but they are few and they need your password to be entered to work. Unless you didn't do that, you shall be safe.

And reread GGJstudios post twice more. You can also find this post in many of the other viral angst threads around here, opening daily for almost everyone's convenience-in.

6. cemcemgs thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't sure which forum would be the best to post, sorry.

Thought it was a picture, when I downloaded the icon was a "black screen with a green arrow on upper left corner", thought it was sketchy so looked to get info, the display picture was a picture of a mountain (which i was expecting). So i opened it, i don't think I installed anything.

I sent a message to that friend and he just signed off when I asked what it was. Couldn't talk with him on the phone yet, his account might have been hacked.

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Did you have to enter your password when you opened the file? It might have been a trojan that's why I'm asking. I think your fine though.

8. cemcemgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it looked like that, with my name and stuff. Is that safe? Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

What is Terminal? And why would a picture file would open it, on purpose to harm my macbook or just a different type of a file?

No I didn't. From what I have learned from another thread, I think "Terminal" was opened. Any idea why that might have happened?

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Terminal on its own is completely safe as it's a built-in program. It's more of a geek tool. If only the application came up and didn't run any commands inside the window then likely nothing really happened. Do you know what file extension the image file has e.g., .jpg, .sh, .png? You can check out the properties of the file to get the extension if you can't see it from Finder alone. If there is no extension on the file, that may explain why it opened in Terminal, as it may have thought it was a shell script.

10. cemcemgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I don't remember because I deleted the file right away and even removed it from my trash. And I do not remember if there were any commands or not. Let's say there were commands, what might be the worst scenario? Just want to make sure i'm safe:) I mean can there be a malicious file that would open Terminal on purpose, when someone tries to open the file.

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Worst case scenario is you can't run your machine, but obviously that isn't the case. From Terminal the possibilities are very wide. It's hard to have certainty on this. One thing you can try is to open Terminal, then hit the up arrow. This this goes back in the command history so you can see previously entered commands. The history can be deleted so it's not an absolute check.

12. cemcemgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

I tried opening the Terminal. Few differences:
    1) It doesn't have the black background and green fonts, it just has white background and black fonts.
    2) No welcome note from Darwin
    3) When I hit the up arrow button, it did not do anything.

Do these mean anything?

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not really. The black on white is the default actually. Green on black is just another theme that can be used. Since there was no command history there's nothing more you can check there. For now, I simply wouldn't worry about anything unless you notice something missing or acting strange. It's very unlikely the file you opened installed a trojan.

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

When you download your email do you have your mail program leave the messages on the server? If so, you could probably log in through your ISPs web interface and still see the file there and find out more about it.

15. lith-ium macrumors newbie

no virus on macs. but macs can still be carriers of viruses. even if it would not infect the macs' system. so keep beware.:cool:

16. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

I remember installing something. It didn't ask my password during installation but it asks my password for it to work (the software smells legit but I'm worried). It was some YouTube downloader.

It was a long time ago. Am I still safe?