Do I just move my itunes folder to an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Potatochobit, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Potatochobit macrumors regular

I am going to do a fresh install on a new hard drive in macbook pro
    I want to install itunes on a secondary drive, not the primary
    so right now, on my computer to back these up, I just copy the folder to my external drive?

I remember having problems before where songs I did not buy on itunes were not recognized. After I reinstall itunes, I just move the folder back and it should find all my songs?

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You're gonna move the iTunes folder back to the primary drive, after, or leave it on the secondary?

3. Potatochobit thread starter macrumors regular

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Okay. Move the entire iTunes folder to your external. Make sure you move the whole iTunes folder and not just iTunes media, there are files that are import in there. After you've done your fresh install, open iTunes and point it to your new drive. Then, close iTunes and drag and drop the the iTunes library file into your music folder on your Mac. This file has to be stored on the Mac, but it's small. I'm on my iPad right now and can't remember if there are any other files that need to be stored in your music folder on your Mac or not, but if you get the iTunes library file on your Mac, you should be good to go.