Do I keep Macbook Pro plugged in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bonafidde, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Bonafidde macrumors newbie

I just got the 13" pro and I am wondering if I should keep it plugged in when using it.

The battery on my previous laptop(windows) burnt out and stopped holding a charge. So im not too sure on how to make a battery preserve its charge.

Would I be better off only plugging it in to charge it or leaving it plugged in as much as possible?

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Plug it in when you can, use it on battery when you have to.

3. Jmouse macrumors 6502

its that simple?

4. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I see one of our well known members has not yet responded with their linked Apple notebook battery frequently asked questions article

basically, apple advises not to leave it plugged in all the time, but to unplug it every 2 or 3 days or so & use on battery to about 50%, I have gone to between 90 & 60%. This is supposed to keep electrons moving.

Apple also advises to calibrate the battery about every couple of months to keep the battery readings accurate.

there are some free apps, coconut battery & istat pro that help one to track their Apple battery.

you could try searching mroogle, find mroogle on Google, & type your question there, among the archived responses, there should be link about calibrating etc for apple notebook battery.

here is a link to mroogle; http://mroogle.*************/ type in your question in it's search box

5. Bonafidde thread starter macrumors newbie