Do I loose my carryover minutes when upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StingerT125, Jun 12, 2009.

1. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I have to use the early upgrade to get the new iPhone. When you sign for the new contract do you loose the unused minutes you have accumulated or do they carryover to the new account?

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

You get to keep all of your rollovers.

Or at least this is how all upgrades, early or not have worked for me.

I had 6000 rollovers accumulated before we got iphones, now we have been using them up, only have 800 rollovers left.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The only time that you loose your rollover minutes is when you "downgrade" your calling plan.

Of course the obvious caveat is when they drop off after their time period expires.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

As long as you don't switch to a low minute rate plan. For example if you switch from a 1400 minute plan with 3000 Rollover minutes to a 700 minute plan you will only be able to carry over 700 Rollover minutes.

Dave

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

When do rollover minutes expire anyway? I thought it was after a year but I've been with AT&T for almost three years and I've never seen them expire...

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Slightly incorrect information.

What happens to rollover minutes is this:

(say you have 2000 rollover minutes)

Case 1.
    You have 900 minute plan currently and want to downgrade to 450 minute plan. You LOSE 2000 rollover minutes and ATT just lets you keep 450 minutes as rollover (because that's the lower number).

Case 2.
    You have 900 minute plan current and want to upgrade to 1400 minute plan. You still lose the 2000 rollover minutes and ATT lets you keep 1400 minutes as rollover.

Case 3.
    You have 900 minute plan current,y and want upgrade to 3000 minute plan. You KEEP the 2000 rollover minutes.

You see, ATT treats rollover by factoring in the LOWEST number. So if you go from a high minute plan to lower minute plan, they will only give you the lower minute plan remaining rollover.

Even if you go to a higher plan, the higher's plan minutes must exceed your current banked rollover minutes for you to keep those minutes. So if you are upgrading to a higher minute plan and that plan is still lower than your banked rollover minutes, you still lose those minutes and ATT defaults your rollover minutes to the lowest number.

Got that? It's rather confusing for even the most informed public about rollover minutes.

And as the other users have stated, it's a rolling 12 month cycle. So your month 12 rollover minutes expire when they are re-adding the new month.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yeah, OK! How is the different than what I said? so what if I chose NOT to go into detail...

I used to work for AT&T so I know damn well and good how it works.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

I'm just giving more details for people who do not know how rollover works. It's very confusing to the general public.

Didn't mean to offend you. I assume you know what you are saying but some people on this board need the details. That's all.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

To complete the discussion, let's discuss why AT&T has this Rollover policy concerning changes in rate plans impacting Rollover balances.

This is a carry over from back in the Cingular days. It seemed that a few people were gaming the system by choosing a high rate plan with Rollover for a month or two and then drop to the lowest Rollover rate plan for a few months. This became a pattern, where they would cycle over and over. Cingular simply got tied of the expense and revenue loss and closed the loop-hole.

For most customers: If you have a very high Rollover balance then you are wasting money and you should consider choosing a different plan that better fits your usage pattern.

All carriers are slow to move but when they do, a few abusers of the system impact everyone. :(

Dave

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You explained (aneftp) that you lose your rollover minutes only if you downgrade your current plan, and therefore keep the lowest amount of minutes specified by that new (downgraded) plan.

He said you only lose your rollover minutes if you downgrade your plan.

You just explained in more detail. No reason for anybody to get mad...

11. PackFan macrumors regular

PackFan

I'm not sure if you loose them - but you could try to tighten them...

;)

12. StingerT125 thread starter macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Oops, didn't see that at first.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Now I feel more comfortable.