Do I max out the 21.5 or get the base 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dyn-tec, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Dyn-tec macrumors member

I know there are a lot I these, but I was thinking of getting the 21.5 with upgraded CPU an ram.

As for the fusion thingy.. can that be added later right??

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It may be possible to add the fusion drive later, but it may not be simple.

You would have to at least take the screen off using suction cups. We aren't sure yet how easy it will be to open, we'll have to wait for iFixit's teardown.

The SSD used for Fusion looks to be a blade style SSD, like those used in the Air and Retina Macbooks. I doesn't look like there is a place to add a regular off-the-shelf SSD, only the blade style.

When you order it from Apple with the Fusion drive option, it comes with the software preconfigured to use both the SSD and HDD in Fusion mode. It's possible that someone will release software to allow you to enable this mode after the fact, but again we don't know for sure yet.

Honestly if you can afford it I would just order it with Fusion if that's what you want.

3. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I'm kinda having the same dilemma. With an educational discount, I can probably get the 21.5" fully maxed out for $2300 and it would be sufficient for my needs. However because I would like to game, I am leaning towards the high-end 27" with the GTX 680MX. Configured to how I would want it, it'll probably set me back around $3500. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer, but I'm not sure if gaming alone justifies the exultant price tag of the 27". As I've mentioned, the 21.5" is perfect for my current setup and I can fully max it out and still be under what I ideally would like to spend, whereas, I will be spending too much on the 27" (don't need the screen real estate) just for the purpose of gaming and I would have a close to specced out machine unlike the 21.5" which would be fully maxed out. I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding! I don't have to game on ultra settings, and I feel the high-end 21.5" should be good enough for casual gaming and general use.

4. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

I too will be buying the maxed out 21.5", however Im 95% sure I wont be getting the core i7 over the i5 as the performance dose not justify the price.

5. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I would upgrade the CPU and RAM, and also throw in the Fusion Drive. You will kick yourself if you don't do the Fusion Drive, even in the 27" because it is vastly superior to the 7200 rpm HD. On a side note, the 768 GB SSD option in the 27" will probably cost close to a grand. I think a maxed out 21.5" will outperform a base 27". In addition the high-end 21.5" GPU will work better than the base 27" because it doesn't have to drive such a high resolution. I would max out the 21.5" and take that over a base 27".

----------

I'm gonna max out everything just to future-proof the machine as much as possible. i7 over i5 it is!

6. The DRis macrumors 6502

Rumors have it that I will be getting money from the parents for an iMac for Christmas. I believe only enough money to cover a base 21.5". I'm waiting to see what the upgrade options are before I decide on 21.5 over 27. Also I need to compare the 2 at the store. I can't fathom how big a 27" screen is.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

For gaming it may make a lot more sense just to buy the $1999 27" iMac and perhaps upgrade it with the Geforce GTX 680MX, rather than maxing out the 21.5" iMac.

Guessing the Geforce GTX 680MX is, at most, a $300 upgrade.

8. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I hear ya! BUT, I really would've liked to future proof the system by upgrading the RAM to 16GB and getting the 1TB Fusion Drive. All these upgrades would cost me more on the 27", bringing the closing price somewhere near $3200 (I also would have to pay more for Apple Care and then buy Windows 7 for Bootcamp). I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the final BTO prices are. I feel the 21.5" would be a better all-around machine and would last me years fully maxed out, as opposed to just picking up the 27", upgrading the GPU, and skimping out on the rest of the specs. Just my reasoning.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You can always upgrade the RAM in the 27" iMac.

There is no hurry. 8 GB will easily get you by for now and all games will run with that.

Regarding the Fusion Drive, there really is no future proofing when it comes to technology. Get the best option you can afford but you can always just get it with an Solid State Disk and then get an external drive.

The Fusion Drive is, for all we know, just a combination of an Solid State Disk and a normal mechanical hard drive. As in, two separate drives that works together via software.

10. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I'll see...hopefully both models will be available in store soon, as I would like to assess the physical dimensions in person. The 27" is just freaking huge! Yeah it'll be interesting to see how the Fusion Drive plays out performance-wise, but I think high capacity with SSD-like performance is certainly an advantage over stand-alone SSD. In plus, it's much cheaper than the flash storage option, which will cost an arm and a leg (almost $1000 for 768GB SSD for the rMBP). When all is said and done, you're looking at a mighty fine price tag!