Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alebar14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Auckland CBD, New Zealand
Hi there,

Just wondering if I really need to get a Leopard instead of keeping Tiger? I use my MBP for graphic design projects (Adobe CS3), playing game emulators and surfing internet multi-tab websites.

Will there be any significant speed increasing ? Is it obsolete having a 32 bit core architecture? What would be other advantages having a Leopard on my current MBP ?

Thanks !

russell.h

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Are you having any problems with Tiger?

If not then I don't see what could be wrong with sticking with it. You won't notice any speed increase with Leopard, most likely it will run slower.

And most importantly, last I heard there were reports that CS3 might not even run properly on Leopard (although it was just a rumor backed up by claims from a few people who said they had tested it and reported tons of huge bugs).

So you definitely don't need Leopard, and you could potentially very much not want it. My suggestion would be to hold off for a few weeks anyway until you see what experiences others are having. Got to an Apple store or somewhere that you can try it out and just see what you think. Then if you want it enough to justify the cost (both monetary, and in terms of the effort it will take you to transition) go ahead and "upgrade".

Disclaimer: I already preordered.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

If not then I don't see what could be wrong with sticking with it. You won't notice any speed increase with Leopard, most likely it will run slower.

past upgrades have improved speed on the same system. seeing how leopard is optimized for intel i would expect it to be even faster than tiger

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I'm getting it predominantly for Time Machine. My music and photo collections are getting too big and I worry about them. B/U on a DVD is too painful.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Hi there,

Just wondering if I really need to get a Leopard instead of keeping Tiger? I use my MBP for graphic design projects (Adobe CS3), playing game emulators and surfing internet multi-tab websites.

Will there be any significant speed increasing ? Is it obsolete having a 32 bit core architecture? What would be other advantages having a Leopard on my current MBP ?

Thanks !

None, if you put a leopard on there, you won't be able to get any work done! It will just be sitting there, on your MacBook Pro, possibly crushing it under its weight. Definitely scratching the crap out of it with its claws.... don't get a leopard and put it on your MacBook Pro.

However, as others have said, getting Leopard is mostly up to you. I have seen slight performance boosts from using it on my MacBook as compared to Tiger, but that could be mental.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
And most importantly, last I heard there were reports that CS3 might not even run properly on Leopard (although it was just a rumor backed up by claims from a few people who said they had tested it and reported tons of huge bugs).

CS3 is my main concern. Seems I recall someone on here saying CS3 worked great in Leopard, but this person didn't offer any info as to how he/she knew that. I've pre-ordered also but will be installing Leopard first on my secondary (i.e., "non-production") Mac and testing CS3 and other stuff, in order to be sure before putting it on my main machine (the one with my life's worth of data on it). I would consider this sound advice for anyone with a "spare" Mac.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You WILL need it when Apple and 3rd-party developers start requiring it, as usual.

This is the worst thing about the Mac platform.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Do You Need A Computer?

Have you watched the guided tour yet?

I think if you give it 27 minutes and 37 seconds you will see why you need it and you need it NOW! jk

Of course Adobe will be a few weeks behind with their Leopard optimization. And yes your 32 bit CD MacBook Pro is obsolete - from a future tech point of view. If I were you I would sell it and buy a refurbished current 2.4GHz C2D model ASAP. It's only going to cost you a few hundred dollars difference to make that move and your CS3 suite will thank you for it.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null

You've used Leopard then, right? No?

Well ok then...every single report from people with access to Leopard seeds has been that's its faster, not slower. I'd rather stick with that than misplaced speculation.

mrtekkid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2006
Actually from what I read, as Leopard was developed Adobe became more compatible with it. So at first it really did not run and then as Leopard made tweaks, it became more stable running on the OS. I looked around for awhile about this and that's what I found.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
You WILL need it when Apple and 3rd-party developers start requiring it, as usual.

This is the worst thing about the Mac platform.

That is because they are actually introducing things into the OS worth taking advantage of from a development standpoint, and as such, the devs will want to take advantage of it.

They will keep the Tiger compatible versions available, they will just EOL them and concentrate on Leopard. Why continue to make software for an older OS if your customers are predominantly going to be using the new OS?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
If I were you I would sell it and buy a refurbished current 2.4GHz C2D model ASAP. It's only going to cost you a few hundred dollars difference to make that move and your CS3 suite will thank you for it.

It could be closer to $1000 after you factor in tax and what you might get for a rev. A MBP. A rather foolish suggestion if you ask me.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Have you watched the guided tour yet?

I think if you give it 27 minutes and 37 seconds you will see why you need it and you need it NOW! jk

Of course Adobe will be a few weeks behind with their Leopard optimization. And yes your 32 bit CD MacBook Pro is obsolete - from a future tech point of view. If I were you I would sell it and buy a refurbished current 2.4GHz C2D model ASAP. It's only going to cost you a few hundred dollars difference to make that move and your CS3 suite will thank you for it.

hey multimedia, heres a pm i tried to send to you (your inbox is full) :)

i was reading your comment about CD macbook pros at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/371903/ and i started to think whether i should sell mine because of the future of 64-bit computing.
i was a bit peeved that the C2D came out straight after i bought mine with a better CPU, bigger HDD, more ram, better GPU and FW800 etc. this was my first mac and i didnt know about apples product cycle and about always waiting around the time of a new product release if you really need it. i needed my mac for uni but i could of waited for a new and better machine.
im thinking of selling my MBP. could you please answer a few questions. where should i sell it? ebay? and also how much do you think it is worth? (specs in sig). if i do decide to buy a C2D macbook pro i will probably go for the refurbished as it will come with a brand new warranty which appeals to me.
thanks a lot for reading :)

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
Hi there,

Thanks !
You should probably get tiger when you get a new machine. It doen't seem like you need to upgrade right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.