Do I need 2 libraries ??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bingee, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bingee macrumors member

I am tidying my HD prior to upgrading to SL and have just realised I have 2 library folders one on the HD (21gB) another in my user account (10gB). Do I need them both and if not which one can I safely trash?

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yes, you need them all.

The Library at the root of your startup volume contains system wide settings and files. The Library folder in your home directory stores persoanl settings and files that are unique for your particular user. Each new user would have their own Library folder for these settings, allowing a different set of settings and appearance when they are logged in.

There's actually another Library folder under the System folder that is used for kernel stuff and other system wide components.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the rule of thumb, if you don't know what it is, don't delete. In fact there's really nothing at the root directory that would be considered safe to delete. I'd confine your "cleaning" up to ~/Documents folder.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The presence of multiple Library folders seems to confuse folks. Apple should have named the root level one "Main Library" and the rest of them "Branch Library". ;)