Do I need 32g of space?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by italianstallion, Oct 23, 2011.

1. italianstallion macrumors newbie

Prospective iPhone 4s buyer here. I have never owned an iPhone, only two iPods. Both iPods, including my current 3rd gen iTouch, have been 32g. For the most part I have used more than half the space on these ipods, between 10.5g of music and 8g of movies.

I never watch the movies on my iTouch, I keep them on iTunes so I have something to watch in a real pinch (aka airports/flight delays). I keep them on my iTouch because I don't use the space for anything else.

I'm trying to decide if i should get the 32g iPhone or save the $100 and get the 16g. I will only be putting my 10.5 g of music on the iPhone, plus the 2 or 3 games I have. Will the remaining room on the iPhone be enough for additional "must have" apps I should have for the iPhone plus pictures? I have the money to buy either, but right now I'm trying to save what I can before I move to start my full time job next fall.

2. rkeato1 macrumors regular

I think you'll need the 32gb if you're going to use 10.5 gigs for music. Among adding new apps, consider the size of 1080p video and photos.

3. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I would definitely say get 32Gb. I only bought a 16Gb iPhone 4 as I thought I could make do with that but quickly regretted as had to constantly shuffle stuff around. This time I bought a 64Gb iPhone 4S so as to not make same mistake. Some games are over 1 gig nowadays!

4. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

This. Keep in mind also you'll only get about 28mb of usable space too. I have a modest library of music and that's 9gb. Apps are getting bigger and bigger now. 8mb photos are bigger and 1080p video will fill up space fast.

5. italianstallion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input everyone. Not being able to predict what kind of gig usage I'll have makes the 32g a safer bet for the next two years.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

Bear in mind the 16GB will only give you around 13GB of free space. I suspect you will be better off with the 32GB in the long run.

7. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

Always go bigger than you think you need. I wish I'd listened to my own advice and gone 64 for my iPhone. I just couldn't justify the cost and will always be bumping up against my space limits on my 32gb... especially with the new HD video resolution.

8. italianstallion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that must not be any fun. While I have no use for a 64gb, I'll listen to your advice

9. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I definitely recommend the 32GB at least. Like previous users posted that apps are getting bigger and better. Most high res games occupy a lot of space. I my self have NFS2, NFS Hot pursuit, Assasin's creed and other games and that alone its like 2GB of space in games alone.

10. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Just got my 16GB. One movie (X-Men 1st Class) No pictures yet, or music. 8 apps. Two podcats EMT! and I'm already at like 3.2gb
    Should have got the 32....
    Also, yes the 16 is more like 13. My usage says 3.2 used with 10.4 available.
    Go bigger :rolleyes:

11. calviin macrumors regular

Don't forget that the camera is 1080p now and it takes a lot of space. I tested it last night and 25 min of footage took 4.5 gigs. I have the 32 and will soon be upgrading it to the 64 asap.