Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I've always been able to open Zips no problem on a Mac, but today I get a message 'Error 1 Operation not permitted'.

Why previously OK, but not now?

The Unarchiver seems to be getting more pluses than Stufit on App store

Why do I need either if the Mac Unzips...

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Does the problem still occur after restarting?

If you're not using any other compression formats than .zip then there's no need for a 3rd party app.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Yep, same thing happens. Is it because it's maybe a 3 part Zip, 3 different files?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I'm pretty sure OS X's built in Archive Utility supports multiple part zips. Try a 3rd party solution like The Unarchiver. If that doesn't work then the archive could simply be corrupt.

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Check if all files has correct permission and you can read them and write to directory you are uzipping.

Actually, almost all zip implementations are based on the same sources (InfoZIP, ZLib, etc), and they have the same features and support the same archives, so the only reason can be nice GUI and easier control over non-so-widely used features.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Lion has built in functions to unzip files...Some, however (and I don't know what source you are using) can require an App...

I think Unarchiver is still around someplace..Search should find it.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks guys, I'm wondering whether it has a password protect that he's not told me about, I'll call the author. Would that prevent the OS X from opening and bringing up that message?
Is there a way on standard OS to input a password before clicking on the Zip file?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks guys, I'm wondering whether it has a password protect that he's not told me about, I'll call the author. Would that prevent the OS X from opening and bringing up that message?
Is there a way on standard OS to input a password before clicking on the Zip file?

Ah yes, I get the same error when trying to open a password protected archive with the built in utility. AFAIK you'll need a 3rd party app.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks Jimmy, I'll get the Unarchiver and give that a whirl. And ask cilent for pass... it must have one, I thought it was because it's a 3 parter but not so sure now.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Unarchiver worked fine thanks.

Out of curiosity, how come it goes in Applications, and yet things like Perian, Flip4Mac, Flash etc goes in System Prefs at the bottom, in 'other'?
Doesn't matter obviously, just wondered

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Unarchiver worked fine thanks.

Out of curiosity, how come it goes in Applications, and yet things like Perian, Flip4Mac, Flash etc goes in System Prefs at the bottom, in 'other'?
Doesn't matter obviously, just wondered

Depends on how the app is programmed.
And actually Flip4Mac goes into both applications and system preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.