do i need 3rd party to transferring music?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ayres, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ayres macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2010
    so am i correct in assuming that i cannot transfer apple lossless music from my ipad to my mbp itunes library?

I ripped my dads music collection to his computer's iTunes several years back. Much of it is lossless. recently, while visiting, I hooked up my iPad to his computer and transferred music to bring home with me (I live 5000 miles away).

I assumed I could connect my iPad to my mbp (I manually manage content), and drag those songs to my music library. I assumed wrong.

Any ideas? I figured this was a no-brainier. is third party software really needed?!?
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    DeTune, the successor to exPod can help, meaning, third-party software is really needed. There is no harm in that. I used exPod and DeTune with various iPods in the past, including the iPod touch, which is iOS based like the iPad.
  3. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2010
    right... there's no harm in that, but it seems so elementary that there must be obviously reasons why apple does not allow their devices do perform such a simple task.

helps slow the spread and sharing of music?

anyway, thanks much! :)
  4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Blocking piracy. They don't want kids filling each others' iPods. NVM that any half intelligent kid can figure out a way around it.
  5. ayres thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2010
    just a follow up...

i used detune... quick download and very intuitive (select and drag).

it was as easy as that. i could have dragged the files directly into itunes folder, but i first copied them to the desktop to clean them up.

thanks for the recommendation.