Do I need a 16gb or a 32gb iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londoner888, Jun 23, 2010.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I have both reserved, but am unsure if I should go for the bigger capacity or not?

I currently have a 3GS of which there is about 8.2gb free.

Thing is, with the iPhone having HD videos, 5mp photos and probably apps that will take a bit more memory. Should I opt for the 32gb or will 16gb be more than enough for my usage?

2. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I was in the same boat and I went with the 32gb for the video reason. Also I figured I will have this phone for two years so by that time I will have more content (either in music, apps, videos).

3. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

If you take pictures a lot or videos, then I'd opt with the 32GB. I have the 32GB 3GS and usually keep about 300 photos and 50 short videos and I only use about 16GB (with a bunch of apps and about 200 songs).

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I'm going with a 16GB. On my 3G, I had about 6GB free (including jailbroken stuff which won't be an issue on the iPhone 4 which I will not jailbreak) with about 3,000 photos, 330 songs (all with album artwork), i think two movies, an hour and a half tv show, a ~40 minute tv show, and 63 apps.

6. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

i got the 16 gb, and i'm sorta regretting it as i watch the space get eaten up. keep in mind of those 16 gb u only get about 14.

7. cowsrus macrumors 6502

HD recording has been confirmed to be around 4.2gb per hour now that people have had the phone to test it

that means 1 hour of recording from your phone is going to be either 1/4 or 1/8 of your space

up to you if you use video
    i'm going for the 32 because of the resale value and not having to worry about the space
    if you think you are going to need it and you have the extra $100 then go for it, but don't kill your wallet if you dont feel like you need it

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Converting some of your old MP4 videos to a higher resolution is going to take up more space too, so I suggest to future proof it for the next two years with the higher capacity. Better for the longer term.

I was torn myself because I figure I could just save a $100 bucks. Money is tight. Now if BB decides to give me a 16GB tomorrow morning because that is the only ones available, I'll still take it. Save the cash. But I prefer 32GB just to think far ahead. The 16GB iPhone 4's will be $97 next year at Walmart anyway. The 32GB is like the rarer and less popular of the two models. Not like the 32GB 3GS got a price drop when those 16GB were getting cleared out in Wally World a month or two ago. Get the 32GB. You will thank yourself later.

Higher resolutions always takes up more space.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

With 8.2GB free on your existing iPod it sounds like the 16GB model would work well for you. Unless you plan on taking a lot of videos and keeping them on the iPod you won't gain anything from having a bunch of unallocated space. Contrary to what people are posting here, more capacity doesn't "future-proof" your phone if it's more than you need. Everything else on the phone will be just as outdated as the 16GB and 32GB models are otherwise identical.