Do I need a 3G iPad with unlimited Verizon iPhone data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jekjones1558, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jekjones1558, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

I will be buying a Verizon iPhone in a couple of weeks and also an iPad 2 when it is available. If I have an unlimited data plan with the iPhone and pay the $20/month to use it as a hotspot, is there a reason to get a 3g iPad instead of a WI-FI iPad (assuming Verizon grandfathers those with unlimited data when they discontinue unlimited data some day)?

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

If you're getting the hotspot feature, than I'd probably skip it, especially if your iPhone and iPad will be near each other most of the time. What makes you think you'll need a 3G iPad?

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Just don't expect to be able to surf the web on your iPad while your talking on your iPhone

4. jekjones1558 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had originally planned to get a 3G iPad so I could count on internet access pretty much anywhere. But now with the details on pricing of the iPhone hotspot and pretty reliable accounts that unlimited data will be offered for iPhone, it seems like a WI-FI iPad should be fine and cheaper. But maybe I am missing something?

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Not sure why he'd want to, but you never know. ;)

I don't think so. As long as you're grandfathered in and get the unlimited data, you should be fine. Not to mention, Wi-Fi saturated areas help immensely. :D