Do I need a 3G/Wifi or Wifi iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tydog07, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I'll be using an iPad with a charting app for sailing purposes and I wanted to know if the iPad has GPS so to speak, or will I need a 3G iPad that will be able to provide my location and movements? Thanks, I plan to buy one this thanksgiving when the retina displays come out (crossing my fingers).

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Only the 3G iPads have a GPS chip. The WiFi only iPads use WiFi location services.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

a retina display on thanksgiving? lol. first time i have heard that rumor. apple has never released a new product in november (as far as i know), so i wouldn't hold my breath :)

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

If you already have a cell phone that supports tethering, I found that you get much more for your money with a WiFi iPad because you get 4GB that can be used by both devices, which is twice what you can get with an iPad data plan. As for GPS? Only the 3G iPad supports it.

The rumor was that the retina iPad would be a "pro" version of the iPad 2. Not impossible, but there isn't really a precedent for it.

5. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like I'll need 3G, thanks for the help. And as far as the retina display, I hear this fall it may be happening, I'll just wait until it comes out, even if it is next spring. I just have read some different things about it.

So since I'll be getting the 3G version and I have an existing Verizon smartphone account, how much is it to add my 3G iPad? Isn't it reduced because I already have a smartphone with Verizon?

And what keyboard-cases do you recommend, I like the looks of that Zagg one.

6. Alexa2370 macrumors newbie

I will totally go for the 3G, it has several more advantages than the Wifi which is absolutely GPS limited.