Do I need a 64 bit version of windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by juliancs, Jan 23, 2010.

1. littleb2005 macrumors member

main reason alot of people use 64bit is either they got a 64bit processor or 4gb ram

if u have 4gb of ram or more i say yet other wise i wouldn't see the point

u have to install the bootcamp 3.0 drivers first which is easy if u read about

how to install bootcamp 3.0 64bit drivers avalible here

http://www.techulous.com/hardware/h...64-bit-for-windows-7-on-unsupported-macs.html

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Do not fear 64-bit. Driver/compatibility "issues" were true in 2007, but they're long gone now. Rule of thumb: if your machine can handle 64-bit, do it. I've been gaming on my MBP with Vista 64-bit (and now Windows 7 64-bit) for several years without any issues.

When you do get Windows 7 64-bit, do a clean install. Do not use the "upgrade" option (I'm assuming you have Vista installed right now?). Upgrading can cause a ton of headaches and is totally the lazy way out. Do things right the first time and do a clean install of Windows 7. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

4. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

5. SystemHasFailed macrumors member

SystemHasFailed

These days most games use 1GB of RAM max. But *you* have a computer that has way more than that, and you should get all of the use out of that hardware that you can. That's why I installed Windows 7 64-bit on my 2007 Mac Pro. :)

6. jon08 macrumors 65816

From what I've come to understand, you won't really gain anything if you install 64-bit version in terms of gameplay; because the game(s), unless they were written to support 64-bit system, won't benefit from it.

Another thing to consider is how much space you're willing to dedicate to your partition. If you don't have much to spare, 32-bit will be your best bet because it takes up "only" about 8GB, while 64-bit takes up almost twice as much.

I was in the same dilemma as you because I use BootCamp mainly for occasional gaming and to run an online streaming program called PPStream (which I would watch by running Parallels/VMWare), so I figured I wouldn't really benefit by installing a 64-bit version.