Do I need a 7200 HDD for my laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Jun 9, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I do mostly photoshop, and I record music with cubase. Would like the 7200, but wonder if I really need it?

I do have a external hard drive that is 7200 via firewire 400. Is this good enough? And is there a real difference between speeds with an internal 7200 vs external 7200?

Thanks!

2. magius macrumors regular

personally i think it makes the most difference when reading/writing for prolonged periods of time... i.e. video editing, motion, etc.. i do think that the external is good enough, but don't take my word for it. and yes, I hav heard there are speed differences between external vs internal. wait for more replies though, they may know better ;) cheers.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes the 7200 external is fast enough, or yes I need the 7200 internal?

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Yes you always need bigger and faster stuff. You must always update to the newest thing that hits the market. Upgrade to the 160GB HD now and in a couple of weeks upgrade to the 7200 rpm 200GB HD.

I was being sarcastic :D but if I had the choice I would probably get the 7200 rpm HD for my laptop. If you have firewire 800 on your computer that is a great way to go for external.

Nuc

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The gain from a faster HDD depends in part on how often and how hard you use it. If you are constatly writing and reading from the HDD a faster drive may be of use. Likewise, if you plan on saving/loading large files, then go for the faster HDD.

Check out www.barefeats.com for some HDD benchmarks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Membrain macrumors member

Membrain

fastest external Drive

The fastest hard drive setup I can think of is external SATAII drives connected through an adaptor plugged into the expresscard/34 slot. this is a full speed PCI-X interface. The reported speed of this interface is up to 3Gig/Sec. Much faster than even the firewire 800 port. Havings two drives setup in a raid array in an enclosure that has a SATAII port would be insane!
    The Lacie big disk with serial ATAII port and an expresscard/34 Serial ATAII adaptor might be AU$300.
    Do you need this speed? Probably not. I've just bought the Santa Rosa MBPro with 160g/5400rpm drive. I didn't want to pay the extra and wait for the 7200rpm drive because I've been using a 5400rpm drive in my 12"G4 powerbook and it's never the hard drive access that slows me down. It's always processor. If I find with this machine that the hard drive access is too slow, I'll replace the 5400rpm drive a little later with a faster larger (CHEAPER!) drive and use the internal in an external enclosure.
    I also went for the 2Gig of RAM for much the same reason.
    the other thing the expresscard/34 slot could be used for is a solid state drive, now that's something I might do.

7. daisu macrumors member

I tend to agree with you. I was considering the 160gb 7200rpm when I thought it was 80$ but now that I see it's more I would rather wait.

It just seems to make sense to wait and put the money towards a sleeve or something else.

Does Applecare cover harddrive installs?

8. Membrain macrumors member

Membrain

applecare

yes, definitely go for the extended applecare. The hard drive on my 12" died after 2 yrs, the replacement was completely covered.