Do I need a case or screen protector for my new 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtthwcmn1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I just ordered the entry level 15" Macbook Pro and was wondering if I needed a screen protector, case, trackpad guard, keyboard guard, or what accessories I needed.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Uh, you don't need a screen protector or any sort of "guard" or really any accessories. Why would you?

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I recently got my mac laptop
    I got a sleeve
    an external mouse

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

Its really up to you. Lots of people (including me) use their MBP naked, others like a keyboard guard, etc. I dont use a hardshell or armor or anything because of the heat dissipation issue. As long as you have a good sleeve or padded bag to transport it in and you respect it like any expensive electronic, you're gonna be fine.

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i just got my gf a MBP yesterday and she already ordered a Spek satin hard shell case as well as a carrying case. i prefer mine naked and only have a carrying case. its all up to you and what you'll be using it for and where you're taking it.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if anything get a sleeve

speck is an option
    moshi keybaord cover is option
    moshi palmgaurd is an option
    no screen protector needed...its glass...it wont scratch

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

positive about that? glass can scratch.

8. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its can scratch but its extremely scratch reistsant.

how often do u scratch a window

so unless ur gonna take something sharp and stab ur screen, ur fingers wont do anything.

why would u even touch ur screen anyway....>.>

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend a sleeve. I use an Incase with my 15" MBP.

11. redbrick macrumors newbie

I would recommend getting a screen guard. Glass does scratch...and at some point you're going to have to clean that accidental greasy finger print or dust off that pretty screen.

A Keyboard condom is a good idea...the keyboard is not completely sealed from really small bits of solid debris and other stuff. The downside to this is it impacts the backlighting a bit.

Palm guards....I'm on the fence on this....I've seen pics of sweat deterioration, but have not personally experienced this...not sure...

A hard case is a really good idea. I've seen so many scratched and dented macbook...it's pitiful... Such a nice machine...and it only takes a cheap hard case to avoid that. Call it battle scars whatever...it looks like crap, I call it carelessness. I've not expereinced heat dissipation or over heating issues so far...so ymmv. My opinion of course...