iPad mini Do I need a case / screen protector for iPad Mini 2 (Retina)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MathBunny123, Nov 30, 2014.

1. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

Hello. I recently bought the silver / white iPad Mini. Does the back scratch easily? It's for my mom, and she would use it around the house.

I might be able to get one but within a week... should I practice extra precautions?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

3. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

It is so expensive though... $75 :(

4. double329 macrumors 6502

It really depends on you. Many prefers have the iPad naked and many do like to protect their investment. It does not matter how careful you are, accident will happen. Will the back get scratch easy or not? I am sure it will scratch, but I am not going to test it on mine. You can get fairly cheap case from Amazon yet provide protection. I put on the two iPad mini 2 I got for my kids and one on my iPad Air 2. If you don't like the case, I will recommend at least condom it.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The back aluminum doesn't scratch easy but one drop on the floor and it's going to dent up. It is also kind of slippery naked.

6. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

It's not a easy device to hold due to the slippery surfaces. In addition to that, if you drop a naked iPad on the sidewalk-it's gonna weather it poorly.

The Smart Case, while expensive, is worth it. Why they don't still make a silicone version for less money is beyond me...or wait, this is Apple-it makes perfect sense ($$$$)

I use a Smart Cover for my Air 2 that I grabbed for sale for 20 bucks. It fits perfectly, and I use a slipcover when I need to take it on the road. There's a thought.

I will say, though, that the cover provides no drop protection at all.

----------

Oh, and don't waste your money on a screen protector. Not necessary for normal use at all.

7. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Smart case! Yeah, it's expensive... $69 in the US. I was gonna go for the Smart Cover since it is cheaper at $39 (still expensive I think) just so I have that grip when carrying the IPad mini around cause it's slippery naked & eventually I will drop it for sure somehow. Anyway, I got to the store and they had no smart covers in stock so I ended up getting the smart case for $59. They had a "$10 off any item $50 or more" sale last Saturday & pulled the trigger.

Overall, is it worth it? Not sure but the smart case is awesome if you look past the price tag lol!

Note: I was going for a smart cover & a Zagg or BodyGuardz full body protector which would cost around $60 in total.

8. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Try your local Staples store. I saw piles of the smart cases and smart covers for that model in my local store this morning in the clearance area for nearly 1/2 off!

9. ttran88 macrumors regular

I went with an xtremeguard cover for the back, which cost me about 3 bucks. I also put a tempered glass protector on it which reduces fingerprints, protects, while also keeping its clarity. Then to top it off, I put on a cheap smart cover I got on Amazon, specifically the ESR brand which is extemely thin

10. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

I never use a screenprotector on any of my devices, but I take very good care. Not a scratch or spot on any of them. I do use a case. For the ipad I much prefer the C6 case over the Apple smartcase. It's better made, better looking and cheaper. No, I don't have ties with that company:cool:

11. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I don't use screen protectors and have never had a scratch on the front of any idevice. I am pretty careful when it comes to the front. The back is a different story. I like naked but won't attempt it, I have bricks on my porch and wouldn't be able to put it down.
    I like skins from Skinomi, but that's just me. You should get her at the least a hard plastic back off of eBay.
    Since it's your mom, invest a bit and buy her an Apple smart case. they function as a stand for using recipes in the kitchen and are attractive. I think the back would scratch with normal use around the house without something and the front of the case helps to keep the screen clean.

12. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I got the thin Poetic smart case from amazon and it was less than $10. Good protection all around. I also use a screen protector, again, a cheap one from amazon. No need to go crazy. I always buy the cheap three-packs because I know I'll screw one up with lots of bubbles.

13. CapHill Bum macrumors newbie

I'd say the back of the rMini is pretty tough. I usually keep a skin on mine but didn't for my most recent one. A few weeks ago I threw it in my bag and a metal button scratched all over the back. I was really mad at myself for being so careless but the marks just rubbed right off. Turns out the back of the mini had scratched up the button!

So far, it's still as flawless as the day I bought it but I'm thinking about buying a skin to keep it that way.

14. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Do I need a case / screen protector for iPad Mini 2 (Retina)?

Delete post.

15. MathBunny123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for all your help!
    I will probably settle for a smart case. So far I store it in its box. :p

----------

A skin might work well plus the cheaper smart cover.. hmm..