Do i need a cooling pad for mac book? (not mac book pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by samuir, May 19, 2008.

1. samuir macrumors newbie

hi there, just wanna check with all of u whether is there a need to buy cooling pad for mac book? coz it tends to get quite hot on the top left hand side after switching on for a period of time. i realize that the fan cooling system of macbook is different from others whereby its not install in the bottom of the laptop, so if cooling pad if recommended than what are the thing to look out for before buying? if possible share with me what is the model of the cooling pad you are using because most of the recommendation share in the forum are for mac book pro.... thanks alot

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No.

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If you use it on a flat and solid surface I think it's not needed. If you are using it on your lap a fan control application should be enough in my opinion.

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No cooling pad here! I've had mine on for going on (4) days straight and the temperature just went above 115 degrees F, when I was running Keynote, Safari, gmail account, and Office: 2008, at the same time. That's pretty cool in my opinion. :cool:

6. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

7. samuir thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for sharing

thanks for sharing ur model, but does it really wk? hmm...any regards the smc
    Fancontrol recommended, i have install it and i realise that if i set it at 2000rmp, its will still exceed it sometime..izzit normal? thanks

8. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

9. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

yea it's normal smcfancontrol is great i run it on mine

but yes i find the thermaltake when not warm it does lower for 4-5 degrees celsius

but it's not the greatest for cooling...like i said it's moreso for protecting me...
    i'd rather not add noise by buying a usb controllled cooling pad