Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
Hi, I just got my first ever mac a MBP and i i want to know if i need a cover for it? my last laptop screen got scratched form the kets touching the screen and i was wondering if i should buy one of those cloth things that fits in-between the screen and keyboard? also the macbook pro came in a bag/cover thing from apple, should i be using this to cover my macbook pro? i transport it in a targus backpack

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
a targus backpack sounds fine. i've never heard of apple keyboards scratching the screens. granted, you're bound to get a few scratches here and there on the casing of the computer, no doubt. it's something that comes with the territory. while most people don't really worry about this, the whole 'no glove no love' mentality is quite prominent in the ipod community these days...:rolleyes:

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Sweener88 said:
Hi, I just got my first ever mac a MBP and i i want to know if i need a cover for it? my last laptop screen got scratched form the kets touching the screen and i was wondering if i should buy one of those cloth things that fits in-between the screen and keyboard? also the macbook pro came in a bag/cover thing from apple, should i be using this to cover my macbook pro? i transport it in a targus backpack

I use the sheet that it shipped with...one of these days I'll probably buy one of the real inserts.

antisocial

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
Hi, I'd definately use a cloth or sheet to protect your laptop while closed. I didn't on this machine when I got it and now the screen is permamently marked from contact with the keyboard. Once my new MBP ships I'll definately be using something to protect the screen this time.

BTW, I know some people who just use a large lint free glasses cloth (available from most optometerists) to protect the screen when their laptops are shut.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
First iBook I had. Took it into school the day after I got it. Opened it up and almost yelled. There were vertical scratches down the centres of the LCD...

Then I realised it was grease from the keys and wiped it off.

For a second though... :rolleyes:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
hob said:
First iBook I had. Took it into school the day after I got it. Opened it up and almost yelled. There were vertical scratches down the centres of the LCD...

Then I realised it was grease from the keys and wiped it off.

For a second though... :rolleyes:

:eek: That had to be a very, very scary moment! :eek: Glad to hear that everything turned out alright- I could only imagine how upset I would be if that happened to my iBook G4.

mikehowett

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
UK
I use these on my 17" PowerBook, they keep the keyboard away from the screen and make the display fit more securely when closed;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.