Do I need a different OS first before installing Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 16, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

OK, the honeymoon with my Mac is over and it's time to get serious.
    It's a terrific machine but I have to admit that there are a couple of niggles. The worst being a password issue. I can download stuff, for example, Poker stuff, but when I go to install it, I get asked for a password. When I bought the Pismo I knew there was a password on it but I also knew what the password was. I actually used this password once when I changed a setting so I know it was the right password but when I want to install programmes, that password doesn't work. The seller tells me that the password he gave me was the only password he had set.
    So, how do I go about changing any and all passwords that have ever been set on this machine by my seller and any previous owners?

Another thing that is confusing me is the Operating system software.
    I have the install disks for "Mac OS 9.2.1. Classic, Mac OS 10.3 and Mac OS 10.4" but if I want to format the hard drive and start over, do I just load in the 10.4 or do I have to start off with 9.2.1 and then update the OS using the other disks?

Hey!! Just a cotton picking minute, there. Something about what I just wrote reminds me of working with Windows XP Pro. Surely that can't be right. lol.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. cricketbird macrumors member

Just 10.4

A shiny new system should fix your password issues. There are user passwords and admin passwords, and you probably only have a user password.

You just need to install 10.4 (no need for earlier systems). If you need System 9 for anything (almost certainly you don't, unless you have some antiquated software you still need to use), you can ALSO install System 9 (along side the System 10.4).

Of course, be sure to back up your files to an external hard drive before you do this, and make sure you have all your application CDs to reinstall them (or back them up too).

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, cricketbird (a rarely seen animal :) )
    There are no files to save. I have only had the Pismo less than a week and still trying to figure out how it works.
    I have more RAM on order which will be a big boost, hopefully.
    I have also found some old games for Mac including stuff like SimCity 3000 and The Feeble Files :confused: that don't like any flavour of OSX, or so I have been told so I may need to have the 9.2.1 OS on here as well.
    Is there a URL I can go to to find out how best to set this up?

4. cricketbird macrumors member

Installing OS 9 is pretty easy. The software will walk you through it. I'd recommend starting from within OS 10's disks if you can.

-CB

From Apple's website:

To install a Mac OS 9 System Folder:

1. Your computer came with either a Mac OS 9 installation CD or Mac OS X installation discs. Select the appropriate disc for your computer.
    * If you are installing from a Mac OS 9 installation CD, start up from the disc by holding down the C key as the computer restarts. You can release of the C key when the Mac OS logo appears. Double-click the Installer icon.
    * If you are installing from the Mac OS X installation discs, insert the "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disc that came with your computer. Double-click "Install Additional Software."
    2. Follow the onscreen instructions.

The Classic environment requires at least Mac OS 9.1, but it's a good idea to use Mac OS 9.2 or later. You can download a software update from the Apple support website.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh763.html

Make sure you have an actual copy of 9.2, not just the "upgrade". You'll need a full version to install from disks.

If there is currently a 9.2 System Folder already on the mac, back that up before you do all this, and, once you copy it back over to your mac, you can use that as your Classic system folder without any installation.

5. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

OK, the password issue is now sorted out.
    I put the 10.4 disk in the DVD drive and restarted the Pismo with the "C" key held down. Then, after using the Utilities option across the top and "Reset password" the rest was easy so maybe I won't need to do any re-installing after all. :)

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

7. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Old Guy

I too have an old Pismo... been running on 10.3.9 for years. I've been concidering installing TIGER but most of the Forum feed back is that... the old G3 processer cant really hack it. Even on 1O.3 its kind of slow, so I'm
    a bit apprehensive about TIGER as most of the Apps are MUCH heavier.
    But i do agree its a real pain when I try to install a new App and find its onlt for 10.4 or up..... As a new Pismo/Tiger driver ...how did it workout for you?

8. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Fishtalk,
    I'm afraid I can't give you much help on this Tiger malarkey. I can tell you that using forums like this one is just as quick as when using a P4 3200MHz Dell PC. I have no idea how fast the programmes work except that from clicking something like iPhoto from the dock to the prog being ready to use takes about 5 seconds..
    But then again, I only have 384mg of RAM so that may be why my Pismo is slow. I have another 512mb on the way so that should provide a boost in some areas.

9. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Old guy....
    Yeah... about the same with this... i recently installed a New 512 ram giving me 640 total.... So maybe I'll start looking for some PCC Tiger Discs.The Old Pismo is a really good solid machine.
    Its only seriously crashed once since 2001 and that was a RAM memory stick problem.
    thanks for the info and have fun.

10. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

It's important to understand that RAM by itself will not increase the speed at which your Pismos will operate. RAM facilitates activity, but it is the processor that determines the speed at which things happen. Sure, there will be an apparent improvement in performance, because the extra RAM will ensure there are few(er) delays.

I think Fishtalk is right in pointing out that the G3 is *probably* best left at Panther, and that Tiger will operate slowly. You can see from my computer specs that I too operate a G3, and I would not consider going beyond Panther with that. I have use of many applications and games that work just fine with that OS version, so I don't feel as if I'm missing out.

The real grunty work is done with this G4 eMac and Tiger, in order to use USB scanning, image editing, viewing movies and so on, tasks that would just take too long with the G3, even if it did have maximum RAM.