Do I need a keyboard protector, if so, which one...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baloney1011, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

Hi. Just ordered my new 17" MacBook Pro from MacMall. So excited!!! :D:D:D Anyway, I read that Mac keyboards get greasy very easily- after just two months of ordinary use I heard that you get grease stains and pretty soon they become permanent. I do see a lot of grease on the keyboards of the MacBook Pros at my school so I think this information is true (considering the ones at my school are just 1 year old). Would somebody confirm this? Either way, just to protect the resale value of my computer, I would like a keyboard cover. I was wondering- do they make typing harder? Also, which one should I get? I have my mind set particularly on the iSkin ProTouch FX because of the colors but I've been reading some bad reviews about them- that they make typing a lot harder. Then I was also thinking about the Moshi ClearGuard and people were saying it was better but I really like the colors on the Protouch, which one should I get? If anyone has either of these and could give me a review.... thanks

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I have the iSkin one and I'm really happy with it. I've actually never typed on my computer without having it on there since I bought it with the computer.

3. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

For how long have you been using it?

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Around 5 months now.

5. greganpace macrumors regular

I have had a white macbook for over 2 years now and I first noticed the staining after about 3 months, but now I just clean the keys with some cotton balls and rubbing alcohol about once month and they look brand new after that. I use the macbook every day for 3-4 hours and I haven't had any issues with that. I think the keyboard protector would drive me nuts...

6. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

The white MacBook has a different keyboard that doesn't stain...

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

moshi cleargaurd keyboard cover and specks eethru hardshell

there ur all set

did u not bother even searching this quesiton that has been asked hundreds of times?

8. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Keyboard protector

Lets see:

Its MUCH better to type WITHOUT it
    but
    Its MUCH safer to type with it (water spills)

Its nice to have some protection for the dust
    but
    It makes you type a little slower (maybe 10% or even more)

Choose a black or white one if you want to make it look like 'natural'
    but
    you can choose a green/pink/white/blue if you want some style stuff

My experience?
    I use EXTERNAL keyboard (wireless) and I DONT use keyboard protection for it. Why? I dont like the feel... makes you type slower.
    but
    I do use a keyboard protection on my macbook pro keyboard.
    Why? I like to keep my macbook clean and safe (once I spilled water and had to buy another macbook (the current one)...)

Hope I helped!

9. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

This guy or girl seems to have it right. I use one, but only because I don't wanna ruin my keyboard. I have gotten quite used to it and don't really notice a difference.

10. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

11. eric.john macrumors member

i had a keyboard protector at one point, but then i removed it as i didn't like the mushy typing feeling.

12. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Well that kind of sucks because the only two reasons I got a Mac is because (1) I liked how it looked and (2) it's very nice to type on. And now I'm going to get a keyboard cover and one of those reasons will be gone... oh dear. :p

13. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Just clean the keys reguarly and you will be fine. I wipe them down once a week with a microfiber cloth and they look like brand new again. I personally do not like the feel of the keyboard covers.