Do I need a laptop bag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acctman, Sep 5, 2014.

1. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Currently I'm debating on the STM Impluse backpack that I purchased or return it. It's an awesome bag but, I work from home and will probably only used it less then 5 times a year for traveling.

What I currently have as well, Brenthaven 13inch zipper padded sleeve, Speck case, STM wire/cable case, and a Nike Sling cross shoulder bag with a padded pouch. So technically I do not need this the STM Impulse backpack. It just looks cool, and is supper comfortable. Although it was only $89 (at a local store) I want to make sure there is a use for it.

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have bought a cheap Barnes and Nobles messenger bag with padded sleeve for my "15 inches rMBP with Speck hard case. Everything looks good. :apple:

3. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Of course you do! It's a very healthy addiction. I am totally in love with all my Waterfield and Samsonite bags and the couple grand I have spent on all of it.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Travel 5 times and only drop it once is all it will take for you to be pissed you didn't get the best bag you could afford. The MBP corners are notorious for denting even in a less than one foot fall inside of a backpack.

I just got, and I HIGHLY recommend the OGIO Renegade RSS pack. It has a chamber that is actually suspended internally so that the computer will not bottom out inside the pack and while being protecting the top and bottom case with a very hard soft-lined insert. It was $149.99 at Best Buy.

I have a Brenthaven briefcase that I never use because the computer compartment, though it is the correct size for a rMBP 15" machine, is designed so that the computer can actually squeeze through the padding and only have a layer of the outer shell between the computer and the ground. If I ever have the urge to use this briefcase, I would double wrap my rMBP with a good sleeve.

Edit: I just noticed you were referring to a 13" laptop so the OGIO might be overkill sidewise.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I would say yes. I have a laptop bad with a soft lining that I then put in my backpack. Keeps it from getting scratched in my bag or tossed around, etc.

6. acctman thread starter macrumors 65816

acctman

okay i'll feed my addiction and protect my investment :) :apple:

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Do I need a laptop bag?

In Life, just like with laptop bags and fire insurance I shall have to assume. you never NEED anything, until you do.. then you really wish you HAD it!! :D

8. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I have an Ally Capellino messenger bag that I used sparingly, mostly because my MBP stays in my home-office unless I need to venture out, which is rare.

But when I do, I know the MBP is protected, and what's more, I have an extremely cool-looking bag! :eek: