Do I need a Mac at home for remote disk access with new Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mac jones, Mar 7, 2009.

1. mac jones macrumors 68040

I'm getting conflicting info about this. Those who seem knowledgeable say you need a MAC at home to use BTMM with the new Airport but there are reports of people that are connecting to TC or USB disks over the internet without a MAC at home.

And to make matters worse it's confusing to begin with. Also, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this issue.

From the Apple forum:

Re: Accessing time capsule drives on MobileMe
    Posted: Mar 6, 2009 2:51 PM

"I have been reading online and it appears that you must actually have a Mac connected to the TC to enable the drive sharing. This apparently still requires a Mac at home. The new thing is only that drives connected via USB to a TC or AEBS are visible when connecting to your Mac at home via Back-to-my-Mac. I was under the impression you could connect directly to the TC less the Mac connection, it appears thats not the case."

"that completely defeats the whole purpose I hope that is not the case. Is there any other way to access your timecapsule from another internet location? "

"Nope. I just finally got mine to work without any home computer connected to the shared disks on my AEBS. I didn't change anything from 5 minutes ago when it didn't work, but it does now. "

Here are all the steps I took:
    1. Added MobileMe info on the Advanced screen
    2. Checked the box to share disks over the Internet
    3. Checked the box to share the disks using Bonjour
    4. Added a wide-area Bonjour hostname

Good luck everyone. Hopefully this was just something they turned on rather than a grim promise of spotty service.

"I did not even have to do (2) (3) and (4).

But I think the service is rather slow right now. So you might not see your AirDisk appearing on the Finder immediately.

Also AirPort Utility will take advantage of wide-area bonjour and MobileMe service as well, by login onto MobileMe, you can remotely configure your TC."

Update: Here's another one (for my own info)

Quote:

" Ididn't even have to do that much. I have one of the original Time Capsules (purchased the first day they were available in the Apple Store). I updated to the latest firmware and the latest Airport Utility. Went into the MobileMe preference on the Time Capsule and entered my user name and password. I went to school, opened Finder, clicked on Time Capsule, it asked for my Time Capsule user name and password, and now could access the Time Capsule drive. I even copied a 24MB file over and it all worked just fine. The only thing I didn't do was try to copy something from my computer to the Time Capsule. I did try to do a backup via Time Machine but that did not work. Even if it had I don't think I would ever do backups remotely.

If it helps - I am a MobleMe subscriber/user, I have Back to my Mac turned on in the MobileMe preferences, I have a unibody MacBook, I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.6, and as I mentioned before - Time Capsule firmware 7.4.1 and Airport Utility 5.4.1. My Time Capsule is not connected to another Mac permanently. It is in my utility room connected only to my Comcast modem. "

end quote.

So it sure looks like you can do this. Not sure though as it's all a bit of a mess i'm not sure I want to step in.......

Also, apparently you need a full subscription to MobileMe as the trial won't work (which is annoying when i have a lot of unanswered questions).

I'ts not exactly heartening to read all the misery involved with this stuff. If I can avoid it i'd rather not spend hours troubleshooting (my troubleshooting days are over ...by choice) :D

mac

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

3. mac jones thread starter macrumors 68040

thanks

I'ts rather odd that at Apple Insider (article) and various other forums they say you do need a Mac connected to the TC or Airport extreme for BTMM to work (after all, it is BackToYourMac and not BackToYour(TC' or Airport).

Really spotty info on this.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

I've done it. It works. No Mac at home.