Do I need a Mac Desktop to?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaron.lee2006, May 29, 2007.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

So I have a 2.16 MacBook Pro. With my new business I am starting which is photography, do you think I should have an iMac for home editing. I don't want to spend so much on a Mac Pro.

Do most people running their own business have a desktop for home and a laptop on the go?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If I was running a business, I'd certainly want the redundancy/reliability of a second computer. What happens if you have to send your laptop in for repair? Are you just going to not work?

I assume that you have a robust backup plan in place as well...

4. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I always thought it would be better to have a bigger screen. I know I could buy and external monitor but I heard that heat doesn't vent properly with the lid closed. Is this true?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you don't want the Mac Pro, the current desktops won't be much faster than your laptop. Just get a bigger screen for home use.

6. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

That was going to be my second point. What if my MacBook Pro died and I had nowhere to do my work.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think you should get a larger external monitor. i think as a backup you should get either an used powermac G4/G5. This way you can hook up your monitor and just get a keyboard

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

The decision is really only one you can make. It depends upon how new your business is, what growth you expect, what your needs are, and what your cash flow is like.

Photography is a tough business. If you have established clients and can reasonably expect a fulltime workflow, then the investment in a second computer may be warranted. A second computer, however, also comes with the minor headaches associated with maintaining two machines, keeping them properly backed-up, and managing data so that you don't have randoms chunks on some machine and some on the other.

If your need is primary screen real estate, then start off with that first. Buy a second monitor; they aren't too expensive (unless you buy the 30"). I would use this with your laptop. If you are worried about running with the lid closed then leave the lid open. If you are concerned about screen real estate AND compute power then you need to define for yourself whether an iMac will work (not too expandable, more affordable, less future-proof) or whether an investment in a MacPro is warranted. You could alternately consider a tricked out MacMini (buy the monitor first, if that doesn't cut it then buy a Mini or Pro machine...).

It is hard to tell whether your "new" business is a solid business model with a really business plan (if not it will likely fail...sorry!) or if you have a well defined plan and need the better machine to acheive your business goals.

A good question to ask yourself is "What computer do I need?" This often has a different answer than, "What computer do I want?"

9. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I believe you should wait for WWDC to see if they're updating the iMacs, I have both an iMac and a Macbook and they are pretty much the same speed. I'd want something more powerful as a desktop

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Remember to budget for two copies of Photoshop :(

FJ

11. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Since laptop screens are not SWOP certified I would think an external monitor that is would be the a necessity if this is a photography business. Also, add an external HD for backups if a second computer is too expensive.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I agree, new iMacs and Macbook Pros are hoped for (it is on June 11th BTW) :)

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

Why?

The CS2 (and presumably the CS3 - don't know, cause I couldn't find it on Adobe's website) license clearly state:

So as long as the OP doesn't use both at the same time, then he only needs one copy.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Seconded.

Get a Mac Pro, G5 PowerMac, or don't get a desktop at all. Those iMacs come with a built-in LCD.....an LCD that isn't great for photography. What's the point?

15. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Hmmm interesting. Would a G5 PowerMac do me nicely for a while?

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Let's put it to you this way: Even if a used Quad core system is "only" as fast as a current Intel iMac, you get expandability, replaceable parts, and the ability to get a decent screen instead of what's included with the iMac. The screen is great for general use, but I don't rate it for photography at an upper level because it doesn't use the more expensive type of LCD panel, namely AS-IPS or S-IPS. It's not incredibly important for most photographers, who make due with whatever LCD they bought (not many people really know a lot about LCDs, after all), but since you were going to spend the money on an iMac, why not get a Dell 20" WFP2007 (not the cheaper model), Dell 30", or an Apple ACD of some sort? Notice that I purposely didn't mention the Dell 24", although it's not bad.

17. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

you can leave your mbp open when connected to an external and have a dual screen setup, or start your external with your laptop in clamshell mode, then open up the laptop to vent it out (laptop screen won't turn on).

You also might want to consider just using your MBP for a year or two, and buying a new MBP then, so you have a backup in case anything fails. Another computer is a big business expense to use as a "backup" -- if you're just starting out how many clients would it take to justify the expense?

18. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

NewSc2 mirrored what I was going to say about keeping the lid open. You don't need to keep it closed. I just lower the brightness to minimum on my laptop screen and use my Dell external monitor.

I have both a desktop and laptop. Right now I'm on an extended contract a state away from home, so my desktop is at home and my laptop is with me with the external monitor. I've taken a "leapfrog" approach to updating my computers. When I feel the need or "urge" to upgrade, I'll replace one of my systems, then the other when I decide to upgrade again. Earlier, I had a 400 MHz Graphite G4 and a 500 MHz iBook. I upgraded the Graphite to a 867MHz "Windtunnel" DP Mac back in 2003. My next upgrade was from the iBook to a MBP 2.0 Core Duo early last year. I'd like to upgrade again so it's the desktop's turn (and boy does it need it!) which I hope to do soon after WWDC if there's good news there.

If possible, I also like to try and wait until the upgrade is at least 2x the speed of what I had before. That helps curtail my lust for the latest and greatest.:)

19. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I have a Dual 2.5GHz Powermac G5 that I got when it was introduced in 2004. So its about 3 years old, and I have no plans on replacing it anytime soon. For graphics and photo work it is a beast. Just make sure you have enough storage, and RAM and you'll be good to go.

I was looking on ebay for another one, and you can find them in the price range of about 800-1800 depending on the model and how new they are. Also make sure if you do go this route pick up one with 8 RAM slots, not 4. If you need help deciding which ones have 8 slots vs 4 check out http://www.apple-history.com/ and it will help you out a little bit.