Do I need a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by peejack, Dec 25, 2007.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Heres the dilemma.

I currently have a 24" iMac 2.4 thing that I use as my main computer. I have no problems with it and love it.

I am a self employed musician, working semi pro, I have made some tracks which are getting released in 2008 and I also am looking to set up a media production company with my friend.

I have been looking at the Mac Pro's for along time now and be tipping on the edge of buying one. Now of course I won't be getting anything until mac world but I would just like the opinions of you guys here on what I should do.

The major downsides of my iMac is only one firewire port, and no PCi slots for dsp cards but it's something I CAN live without it's just I wouldn't mind getting some cards at some point maybe.

Power wise, I am using logic and a bunch of plugs and I haven't had too many problems with it, everything has been kept well below 100% with some good resource management.

Now with selling this and the money I have saved I could afford a Mac Pro (the 2.66 price at the mo) but am wondering if it will offer me a lot more than I have already, in the real world, or will I just have lots of power/slots and connection I don't really need?

I know this is quite an open question, but I would like to hear from other musicians maybe in the same situation with a mac pro and/or iMac.

Many thanks for reading.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I am of the opinion that any professional who uses their computer for processor intensive work can surely justify having a Mac Pro. If you are even questioning your iMac's performance when it comes to your professional work, then yes I would say a Mac Pro is an ideal buy for you.

Faster is always better. Work gets done quicker and money gets made faster.

3. macgruder macrumors 6502

Get the MacPro if you can afford it. For the length of time it'll last you, it won't actually be that much more expensive than an iMac.

4. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh this is very true. Oh roll on mid Jan!!! :eek::eek:

5. MacNerd12 macrumors member

MacNerd12

If you can afford it, go Mac Pro.

You won't regret it, if you get the 8-Core you see a significant increase in performance in your Pro Apps over the iMacs.

My recommended config if you can afford it:

2x3GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
    1GB of RAM (Do an upgrade on Crucial.com later, much, much cheaper than Apple, I'd suggest upgrading to 4GB after you purchase the machine)
    250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Module
    Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

That comes to $4,056. Of course, a musician as yourself may not need that kind of processing power. You can get 2x3GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon instead and the price will be down to $3,357.

At any rate, no matter what config you get of the Mac Pro, it is quite worth it.

Happy Pro Apping:cool::apple: