do i need a macbook pro? and what accessories should i get for it if do get it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iperson21, Aug 20, 2010.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

im thinking about getting a macbook pro, so do i need one?

i would get it with the college discount (100$ off, free iTouch, and free printer)

but do i need it?

i have a three year old dell xps m1330 1.8ghz centrino duo, windows vista buissness with a broken mouse click, a battery that last for less than an hour, and it heats up from just loading a page with flash with 2 gigs ram (max 4) and a 150gb hard drive which is full with like 6 GB remaining.

today, i was browsing the web, and i turned on a page that looked like it was designed from flash, and then the fans turned up loudly.

now, i am going into high school, and im going into a special program for more talented kids, and we will be going on alot of field trips, and we are allowed to take our laptops with us so portability and slimmness is a plus

i want to play games on it, such as roller coaster tycoon, and .swf files from miniclip which i figured out how to download by looking at the source code.

i also want to teach myself to program, starting with something small like maybe a flash webpage, then maybe a tic-tac-toe game, to maybe a web browser which one of my firends did at age 13. (it is very simple though, forward, back, refresh, stop, and page and no flash)

also, if i would get the macbook pro, what accessories should i get.

the only things i am sure on are iWork, a red keyboard cover (theres one on amazon for only 10$,) and a 21.5 monitor because i really don't like limited space especially when i need to flip back and forth on web pages.

i can spend a total of 400$ on extras

also, i am getting an iPod Touch 32gb 4th Gen (im gonna sell/trade in the 8gb or give it to me brother)

i dont have a smartphone if that makes a difference, i have an lg chocolate touch.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Whether you need it or not, that's up to you. People buy stuff without a need for that. It sounds like the MBP would suit well for you if you need a new computer, more precisely the 13" due portability, a MacBook would be sufficient as well. A wireless mouse and keyboard are crucial when using a laptop with external monitor but otherwise you have listed all that are important. A pair of speakers and an external HD for backups are also nice but not needed

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

vista is the pits and you are on an apple web site so most will tell you to get a mac. I was using PCs only up to 2 years ago and then switched to a MBP and have wondered why I didn't do that sooner. Hellhammer's advice is spot on and I concur.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I honestly don't see anything in the OP that gives me a reason to recommend to him a Macbook Pro. The OP is asking if he needs one? I dunno, do you? Sorry to sound harsh but honestly, there's nothing in your OP that explains what you will be doing that you can benefit from using a Macbook Pro. Now, if you want a Mac just for the sake of having one then get a white Macbook, they are cheaper and you can still get the free iPod and printer.
    But it sounds like you're using more software than runs only on Windows so why not just get a new Dell notebook?

5. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Don't listen to this guy. No offense, but he is just going in to high school. All you should need it a sleeve, wrapsol or invisible shield, keyboard cover, external HDD and a bag.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You're only going into High School, so you won't get a college discount..

I'm guessing your parents are paying for it, and if they are and willing to pay for it, then I recommend you do that. However sounds like for what you're doing, you could easily settle for a $500 Dell notebook, especially as most the software you seem to be using is Windows only.

7. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

I would go for it, I seems that you need something more powerfully and practical for long days of usage. Portability is also plus with the Macbook Pro. If you want to play game that are windows only you could try Crossover or Wine or Intall a copy of windows. as for accessories maybe a case ( messenger bag or Sleeve) External apple extended keyboard for coding and a external mouse.
    If you have an external monitor and adapter for the monitorGood luck.
    You should get the Macbook Pro

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

You'll be fine with a MacBook. Look for cheaper, refurbished models on the Apple Store. They're approx $200 less than the base prices.

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Practical and for long days usage? He said they can only take their laptops with them on field trips (I really don't get why they would?), so why on earth would he need a MacBook Pro as opposed to a cheap Dell?

And you don't NEED a MacBook Pro, don't you start high school at 13 in the USA? I think you only want a MacBook Pro for the sake of having a Mac as opposed to a PC.

10. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I would recommend a "speck" case to keep from getting scratches. I have a niece who can sometimes be very brutal, and my sister,who's the mother,'s crazy boston terrier likes to jump and be the center of attention. (She's mesmorized by the glowing mac apple logo.) So the more you keep it in good condition, the better. A lot of us are very conserned about keeping our MB's or MBP's in pristine condtion.

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

He using Vista-for goodness sakes!

12. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I got to Dell, Centrino, 1.8 dual, and Vista....

The answer is yes, yes you need one.

13. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

well i guess i don't need it, but i defenitly don't want to have to deal with A pc during the school year.

i could use a dell mini, which my dad bought for some reason.....

ble bit and possld like sto try out coding a little bit and possibly more and more,

would it be better to get the mini wireless keyboard, and then a bluetooth keypad, so that way i can have the keypad when i need it, and to save some space on my desk (make my desk less cluttered.) i find the keyboard with the num pad very bulky.
    and also, how does the microsoft explorer mouse stack up against the mx1100?

i have the mx1100, i bought it from best buy for 30$ because we needed a wireless mouse for school, so would a better idea be get a microsoft explorer mouse, and then use that for school and keep the mx1100 for home use?

ever since i started using the mx1100, i can't stand the shape of the mighty mouse, which my brother has to compliment his 20" iMac

14. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

well i might have to take the laptop around to school and back some days....
    but also, in 3 years i will be able to drive, so a 10 hour battery (get the battery replaced every year by apple care) would be nice to have.

also i want to create how to tutorials on youtube, and the display on my xps is terrible, so it would be kinda hard to make tutorials.

it my laptop froze 3 times while writing this post... (well more like lag) but i guess you get the understand of how slow it is....

15. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

HUH!?

16. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Talented kids use proper grammar and punctuation.

17. starstruck macrumors newbie

I was able to take several AP courses per year in high school without a Macbook Pro. You don't "need" one at all. You probably think you do, though.

18. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, well here is the red keyboard cover that i really like...
    http://www.amazon.com/IVEA-Keyboard...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1282336332&sr=1-5
    [​IMG]
    and now im trying to deicde, do i want to get the speck see thru-satin full body case or the zagg invible shielf full body plastic see-thru shield.

i really don't like the the purple light that is given off by the case, but i think it would really compliment the red keyboard cover more than the grey aluminum body of the macbook pro which would be there when i put the zagg sheild on (if i did)

19. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

-.-
    I am not really trying to use proper grammar and punctuation?

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

don't mind him.

21. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Sorry- I realize that sounded a LOT more snooty/mean/trollish than I meant it to be :D

22. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

why would you want a new battery every year? besides batteries aren't covered by applecare of course.