Do I need a mid-2012 LCD for my mid-2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 12centuries, Mar 11, 2014.

1. 12centuries macrumors newbie

I have a Mid-2012 MPB, A1278. Something fell on it, denting the top lip, breaking the LCD and fracturing the glass.

Can I replace the screen with ANY 13-inch unibody macbook pro screen, regardless of the year?

What about the entire screen assembly, including the top cover, lcd and glass. I was told that the replacement HAS to be from a mid-2012 model, but others seem to indicate that's not true.

I just want to make sure I buy the correct thing from eBay.

2. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I hope someone with specific experience will chime in, but I'm almost positive the 2011 model's top half will also work. Basically they changed the LVDS connector and added additional antennas and connectors for the AirPort card from 2010 to 2011. I think the only other thing you might lose from 2012 is resolution on the camera.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Its important that you match the part number, sometimes the connector pins are different, the webcam connector can be at different or have a different type of connector you never know unless you can get pictures of the main board and match to see if connectors are the same. If by any chance the connector is wrong you can ruin your display or logic board or both.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the odds of it working are not as high as you may think. I think apple tweaks the design, from year to year. That is the connector design, the exact dimensions, how things are secured. I'm no expert but they seem to tweak things every so often so I'm kind of doubting it will work.

5. 12centuries thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

So what I'm hearing is that even a mid-2012 replacement isn't guaranteed to work? I need to match up the particular part number?

When I look on third-party reseller sites though, they have LCDs that say they work with all the i5 and i7 MBP's.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since you dented the lid, sounds like you need a new display case assembly. Most of the posting online are for just the LCD itself. You'll find it difficult to replace just that if you top lid is dented.

7. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

any 13" 2012 display will work , look on ebay ,make sure is a working display.
    they go for around 200$ to 250$