Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
On my 12" Powerbook, my battery drains really fast. Actually, when I have it plugged in it shows 0% for a longggg time as if it's not even charging. Even keeping it plugged in overnight, it'll only go up to 3%. At other times, I'll open the lid and it'll say 99% and again it'll take about an hour to drain to say 98% and then all of a sudden it'll shut off. I tested with a friend's battery on my computer but his was fine and the percentage meter showed 99% all the way down to 15% before it gave the warning about low battery power. So what's wrong with mine? Do I just need a new one?

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
mad jew said:
Yeah, I think it's time for a new battery. However, you could try resetting the PMU and recalibrating the battery to ensure it's not a software glitch. I don't have very high hopes. :eek:

LOL!!!
rofl5.gif
I knew that's what I'd find even before clicking on the thread. :D

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
marissaaa said:
On my 12" Powerbook, my battery drains really fast. Actually, when I have it plugged in it shows 0% for a longggg time as if it's not even charging. Even keeping it plugged in overnight, it'll only go up to 3%. At other times, I'll open the lid and it'll say 99% and again it'll take about an hour to drain to say 98% and then all of a sudden it'll shut off. I tested with a friend's battery on my computer but his was fine and the percentage meter showed 99% all the way down to 15% before it gave the warning about low battery power. So what's wrong with mine? Do I just need a new one?
well, based on your "testing" don't you think you need a new one.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MACDRIVE said:
LOL!!!
rofl5.gif
I knew that's what I'd find even before clicking on the thread. :D

Am I really that predictable? :D

Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do for a bad battery. Re-seating it might help in some situations but I doubt that's the problem here. I really doubt the PMU reset and recalibration will help either, but they're worth a shot. :cool:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Hmm if you have the 12inch powerbook, make sure you don't get a free battery from apple from the recall! :)

I was going to buy a new battery come this winter, but saved some money do to this..very nice feeling saving money when your in college! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.