Do I need a new computer?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dangermou5e, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dangermou5e, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

dangermou5e macrumors member

Hey guys

I'm currently rocking the early 2009 imac, 2.66 dual core processor, 8gb ram and the 940m graphics card....

I've started getting into the 3D graphics side of things, im working on much larger images (like, A1 size) in photoshop and it feels slow when i wanna do things.... Also doing video work from time to time and editing photos from my DSLR.

Everything in general is slower and my hard drive isnt even half full. I'm a graphic designer by profession so obviously good performance is key to me. Currently using CS6, Blender and Lightroom.

I kinda feel like I wanna upgrade, but I'm not sure if I need the upgrade or if its apples marketing thats got a spell on me?

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks

2. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

The new iMac will be much faster for the things you are doing...

I buy an iMac with 3 year Apple Care...use and sell after 3 years and use money for the next one. and repeat...and repeat

that way I ALWAYS have a speedy capable iMac and ALWAYS in warranty...

OH! and I don't have to waste my money on the top of the line BTO iMac...because I have no need to "future proof" using this method ;)

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Time to upgrade. I went from a 2011 iMac 3.4 i7 to a 2012 iMac 3.4 i7 with 1TB Fusion drive and the difference is enough for me to say that an upgrade will help you. I do web design and graphic design as well. I had recently started getting into the 3D graphics side of things and my 2011 iMac was quick but nothing like my 2012 iMac. The Fusion drive has made a real difference. The SSD side of it is fast. Plus I upgraded my RAM to 24GB which helps as well. My best advice is go to an Apple Store and try playing or working with it for about a half hour or so. I am sure it will be the deciding factor for you.