Do I need a new router? Help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PacMan3000, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PacMan3000 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I could definitely use some advice.

I have an iPad 3 and a smart tv that utilizes apps via a wireless signal. Now in general, whether it's on my desktop computer or iPad, doing everyday things like browsing the Internet or sending an email work perfectly find through our wifi.

But once you start to watch a video online, movie trailers through the Trailers app on the iPad, or stream video via Amazon, HBOGo or Netflix on eit starts to stutter and get choppy. And if I'm lucky enough that it does work, it either takes forever to load the HD signals her the TV if iPad, the picture quality will be choppy and start and stop every 3 seconds. Sometimes, the HD picture won't even look HD, and instead will look almost like standard definition.

So I'm wondering--what's the deal? Why is this happening?

As for my router, I feel like I've had it for 8 to 10 years, although one positive I can say about it is that I never have problems with it. It's a Linksys Wireless G broadband router with speed booster (2.4 ghz).

I have to be honest, I don't know much about routers, setting them up and configuring them, so if you ask me an overly technical question, i probably couldn't answer it. What I can say, if it matters at all, is that we have our router set up where it requires a password to access the wireless signal.

I've tried shutting off other wireless devices that may be taking bandwidth or just sharing the same wireless signal. So I shut off the computer, disabled the Internet on the tv, and disabled the same for the Ps3. Again, doing browsing and even downloading podcasts is fine. But if I want to watch a tv show streaming, or even load an HD video in YouTube, it will take forever or just not do it, or do it but stop and start every 5 seconds.

What would you recommend I do? Do I need a new router?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Get an 802.11N router. Maybe try an Apple Express or Extreme, they're super easy to setup :)

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Wireless and HD don't mix very well. Data streams are inconsistent with lags and drop outs.

At the very least do :
    1. Get a new N router, both Airports are very good at that. If you only use Apple stuff then AEs are the best.
    2. See if you can move everything onto 5Ghz N (faster but less able to penetrate obstacles). If you can, then make sure that your devices (and AE) are setup to only use 5Ghz.
    3. Review the distances and obstructions (big metal objects, concrete walls etc) between your router and the locations where you will be receiving wireless.

4. ray648 macrumors regular

What speed is your internet connection? That is far more likely to be the problem.

Have you tried plugging in either your desktop or the ps3 with an ethernet cable and trying to stream video while bypassing the wireless. Try that first, and if it works then you probably want to buy a new wireless access point. If it still doesn't work then the problem is likely to be the overall speed of your internet connection. HD video streaming is going to use far more bandwidth than anything else you are likely to use the connection for. Where I live, you can browse all you like, but theres no point even attempting to stream video, the connection just isn't up to it.