Do I need a new screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike62pp3, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mike62pp3 macrumors newbie

mike62pp3

I had my laptop leaning on on my heater with the screen side up on it and I forgot I had it there. The heater was on for about 30min before I knew my laptop was near it. I took it off, and the top was super hot. I checked to see if it worked and it was all good, the screen was clear. I left it to cool off for a couple hours, then the next day there is this burnt spot right in the middle, and it kinda looks like the apple sign backwards which im thinking the apple sign burnt into it. Here are some pictures of the screen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The screen works and all, but that spot bugs the **** out of me since I usually take extra care of my laptop, except for this one time. I bought my Macbook Pro when the new models in October of 08 came out so I am out of warranty. Is this covered by the Apple Protection Plan if i do get it? I'm having issues with my cd burner as well so i can probably get that fixed. Has anyone had any experiences replacing the screen? Am i looking at a lot? Should I replace it? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If its out of warranty then you cannot buy AppleCare. You will have to live with both problems as they will not be covered by Apple.

Looks like the heat penetrated through the Apple logo and damaged the LCD. There's not much protection where the Apple logo is except for plastic so that explains that.

Is the problem really noticeable when your using the laptop? If not I would just try to live with the problem. Replacing the screen will cost you a pretty penny.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed.

You can only buy AppleCare within the first year of ownership. So you would have had to buy it by Oct 09.

4. mike62pp3 thread starter macrumors newbie

mike62pp3

Damn! I thought I was still able to purchase it, sucks for that then. And yea replacing the screen seems like it could be a lot, don't know if it's more than $1K or not. Might think about selling it on ebay, but don't know if it's worth selling.

And yea it's pretty noticeable around bright colors, but around darks it's not such a big deal. I have it hooked up to my external screen in my home which is ok but when i take my laptop with me it gets a little annoying.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

6. nelsonlowe macrumors newbie

Yah not worth fixing out of your own pocket. Sell it on eBay or craigslist and buy another used one if that really bugs you that much.