Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Hello.

Ive been dealin with aluminium macbooks for 5 years now and I never had any issues with stained aluminium where the palm touches.

However, now the macbook pro is gonna be the main machine and im worried that something ugly might happen.

I dont know if the issues only happened with older versions. Also, apple said you should use palmrests, but only regarding macbook airs..

So what do you think? Should I get one before it's too late? Or is it gonna harm more than help?

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I don't think you need to worry about stains on the anodized aluminum. However, I find it much easier on my hands and wrists when I use a palm rest.

Hello.

Ive been dealin with aluminium macbooks for 5 years now and I never had any issues with stained aluminium where the palm touches.

However, now the macbook pro is gonna be the main machine and im worried that something ugly might happen.

I dont know if the issues only happened with older versions. Also, apple said you should use palmrests, but only regarding macbook airs..

So what do you think? Should I get one before it's too late? Or is it gonna harm more than help?

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Can you quote a source where Apple says you should use palmrests with MBA? Edit: Oops, that was supposed to be cMBP! Darn those initials!

Hello.

Last edited:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
What is the issue with you guys? As far as materials are concerned they are the same and the same sort of wear. MBA, cMBP, rMBP makes absolutely no difference concerning this topic.

I have rather sweaty hands never used a palm rest for over 3 years and there is absolutely no wear or any sort of visible wear on the aluminium. Only the plastic keys eventually get shiny. The aluminium doesn't need a palmrest. One can put something there because it feels better or because your skin doesn't like the metal but if the notebooks appearance is concern a palm rest is counter productive. You got something ugly there for most of time you use it and once it is gone it is more likely that the sun as bleached out the metal unevenly than that you and your greasy hands would have hurt it otherwise.

Watches and jewerly can scratch. If you use those a plam rest may help. The only issue I have with mine is the very edge which isn't covered by any comercial product. Just to make the sharp edge more bearable and stop its chipping nature I put some tape there. Looks ugly but I only care about ergonomics.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I didn find the one about the MBA but here's apple note about palm rests and rMBP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384

Thats why im asking...could i assume the same applies for the cMBP? Further more, could I assume all the people who complained about stains had previous models with different aluminum coatings?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Honestly I doubt Apple means the same thing with palm rests in that post. It has a general tone to it to be safe but I think what they mean is actual palm rest with gel pads that improve ergonomics and not just a thin plastic sticker that adds practically no height and is more a palm rest protection.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do whatever works for you. No one can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I wouldn't bother but it's your call to make.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Honestly I doubt Apple means the same thing with palm rests in that post. It has a general tone to it to be safe but I think what they mean is actual palm rest with gel pads that improve ergonomics and not just a thin plastic sticker that adds practically no height and is more a palm rest protection.

Okay but, anyways, you dont think it's worth having a palmrest? I actually didnt want to use, im fine with the aluminum, but I didnt want it to become ugly and yellow/black/white whatever.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I didn find the one about the MBA but here's apple note about palm rests and rMBP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384

Thats why im asking...could i assume the same applies for the cMBP? Further more, could I assume all the people who complained about stains had previous models with different aluminum coatings?

I'm pretty sure that tech note shows Apple's disapproval of any palm rests/covers, primarily because of rubbing against the screen. Whether a thin plastic sheet would rub, well, I've seen posts going both for and against.

I'm more concerned about the very sharp front edge on my 2012 cMBP. It's really uncomfortable in next to no time. Would you believe that some people advocate using a belt sander to round the edge?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I doubt a thin plastic sticker has any impact on the display.
The only thing that ever got any wear on my MBP was the very edge. It chipped and got black. But afte 2010 they made them a little less razor blade sharp and I suppose also less vulnerable.
No for just the palm rest (meaning the whole area) the aluminium won't ever ever ever show wear just from your palms no matter how sweaty. It only becomes a problem ones you scratch it and remove the upper layers of the material.
I think palm rests are an ugly pointless waste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.