Do I need a ram upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kurenaiz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. kurenaiz macrumors member

I'm using the 2.4 Unibody MBP and I'm so close on upgrading to 4GB.

Somehow, I desire to waste around a 100 bucks (ram + shipping) and get the 4GB, but the question is that, "Do I really need it?"

My machine's never noticeable slow, despite some Safari lags from time to time.

Will the upgrade noticeably improve performance?

p.s. Sometime when I run utorrent, my free ram is down to 10 mb

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

"Inactive" Memory is as good as free. Mac OS X is fantastic at memory handling, and when you count your "free" RAM, take the free and add on inactive as well.

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

It depends on what applications you are using... If its for going on the internet, chatting, email and all that random stuff... well you don't need 4GB of ram... unless you install windows or use intensive programs like FCP or Adobe.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

ram is really cheap right now. I just picked up the 4gb upgrade for $75 from crucial. OWC has some really good deals right now as well, along with a trade in program for your old ram. I'd say go for it if you have the money, you will use it later on down the road.

5. kurenaiz thread starter macrumors member

counting in the inactive, I think i have around 650mb

So, more ram won't help with the normal usage such as browsing, watching movie, and stuffs?

I'm pretty bore with the Safari lagging too, it seems to happen a lot with some website when I open 5-6 tabs of that site simultaneously.

I don't know if this is cause by the insufficiency of the ram?

6. Cheerios macrumors newbie

I'd like to know if extra RAM helps as well. I often have both safari and firefox and about 25 tabs open in total, in addition to having Calendar, Mail, iTunes, Word, Excel, sometimes Keynote, Vuze/Azureus, and several pdf files open in Preview as well. I find it lags quite a bit when switching between applications and just generally doing stuff.

7. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

RAM is not cheap right now.

4gb is still pretty expensive. my 4gb upgrade for my imac was $30 after rebate for Crucial ram DDR2

not only that, people were having trouble with crucial and macsales ram.

I would wait at least another month or so to get it so there can be more to saturate the market, decreasing the price.

ideally, i think the best time to get it is when the new imac and/or mac mini comes out (please don't make ANOTHER thread asking about it) because those are sure to use DDR3 with the rest of the Apple line-up, thereby increasing the demand for DDR3 RAM.

increased demand will lead to increased supply, which will lead to lower costs! DDR3 is just too new.

as simple to understand as.....
    Step 1 - steal underpants
    Step 2 - ?????
    Step 3 - profit

8. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

It is cheap now. Buy it.