Do I need a replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sniteper, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sniteper macrumors newbie

I recently notice something strange with my 3rd gen ipad with retina display.
    While being charged directly from the power outlet, the ipad does show the charging icon on the top right corner. As soon as I start using it while plugged, the percentage starts to diminish. Is my ipad a bad one? do I need an replacement.
    I have included some pictures showing what transpired from 6:28 am to 10:51 am. My ipad was plugged all this time and I only had it showing the main screen while conducting this test.

I am still under warranty as it has not been a year yet. I bought it brand new from Bestbuy as Apple was sold out of the black model 32 gigs.

I completetly drained the battery, recharge to 100 % then let it drain and recharge it to 100% to calibrate the battery and it still does the same thing.

I have the latest update 6.1.2

I would appreciate if you could give me your honest opinion as to what to do.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Blarneystone macrumors member

What is your screen brightness set at?

I'd be tempted to try a different charger to make sure it's not a charger defect.

3. TaylorMatsu macrumors member

So your ipad charge is going down while plugged in? You should definitely bring it in for replacement. That should be covered as a hardware defect and should (hopefully) be exchanged for free. I'm not completely sure how best buy's warranty works

4. sniteper thread starter macrumors newbie

My brightness is set to 70 %

I have tried different charger and it seems to do the same thing.

----------

Thank you for your reply.
    I will try to get an exchange at the apple store since it is still under apple warranty eventhough I bought it at Best Buys.

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Plug it into the official iPad charger. It is not uncommon at all for the iPad to drain with the lower amperage charge while it's doing a lot of things. Plug it into the wall and leave it for an hour, and if this persists then yes you will need a replacement.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If this is happening when you are using the iPad then no it isn't necessarily a defect. Depends on what you are doing, how you are charging and how fast it is going down.

The retina display takes a lot of juice to run, particularly playing video, high graphic games etc.if you are charging to a computer or a wall outlet that is underpowered then its not pushing in enough power to run the screen all by itself. Even having no apps visible there could still be push email etc going on so dropping 20% in four hours isn't necessarily due to defect.

7. SuperShredder macrumors newbie

Are you using the Apple supplied charger that your iPad came with?

Apple mobile devices have different wattage chargers, and thus third party chargers also have different wattages. If it is a 5 watt charger, it will drain while you use it. Anything less than 10 watts with definitely cause it to drop while in use.

It can even drain while charging if you are using the 10 watt adapter supplied, but only if you are pushing it hard.