Do I need a replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pink∆Floyd, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Ok,I've noticed that my iPhone 3GS' battery has been draining super fast. It isn't jailbroken, it has an AT&T 3G sim card on it. I woke up today at 7am and right now at 4pm.
    It went from fully charged to 40 percent. If i go to the apple store and ask for a replacement, will i get a new iPhone 3gs because right now mine's in MINT condition?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You're saying over the course of 7am to 4pm your battery went from 100% to 40%? Unless you haven't used the phone today then I'd say you have a normal iPhone.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If they find a problem with your battery, you'll get a refurb.

However, you haven't provided enough info to determine if there is an issue. What's your usage? What's on?

4. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I didn't even use my iPhone for all of this time, it was in sleep mode the whole time...
    nothing was running...

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It does sound like you may have an issue in need of either a full restore (software) or replacement (hardware). If you get a replacement, it may be a refurb, but those are like new (and have been tested more heavily than a new phone, in theory). Refurbs can just be returned-never-used phones—you won’t get a “used” phone. I’ve gotten a couple replacements, and if they were refurbs you would NEVER know it.

One other factor to look into: the battery METER could be miscalibrated, showing 40% even if you really have more than that. Letting the battery run all the way down from full charge to shutdown would re-calibrate the meter and eliminate that possibility.

I go longer than that with occasional use (short calls, short email/web/game sessions) and see almost no drain. Depends on the apps used, of course. I do have all optional stuff (GPS, WiFi) turned on except for BT.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear what you're sayin'. I generally get the same battery drain as you are talking about, but somedays I spend more time playing games on my iPhone than normal and the battery can drain down to 40% pretty easily. I was assuming the OP was using his phone in this manner. If this isn't the case then, sure, go have it looked at I guess.