Do I need a screen protector for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mstout, Apr 7, 2010.

1. mstout macrumors member

Thanks to this forum I dumped the screen protector on the front of my iPhone. Not a scratch since then. Now I'm wondering if I need a screen protector for the iPad? All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

2. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

Unless you're insane, trust your instincts.
    If you are insane, you don't know it.
    Proceed.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I didn't put one on my 3GS and it has no scratches. But, I'm pretty careful with it to, never toss it into a bag full of random things (like keys) or anything. I got the Apple case for the iPad and no screen covering. By putting a screen cover on it, you're negating the advantage oleophobic coating, making it easier to wipe off. The only reason I might put a covering on is if I just couldn't stand the glare and wanted a matte finish (which will make the display slightly less sharp and less saturated). Do buy a case that covers the screen though.

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

I personally always use screen protector for all my electronic devices.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

No. Especially not on Apple touchscreen devices.

I really hate them because it makes the experience less enjoyable IMO.

6. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

I wouldn't get a screen protector. It was hard enough getting one of those on the small iPhone screen with no dust or bubble on it. Try putting one on this size screen maybe just get a case to throw it in.

Also this is off topic but does anyone else have a seem in the casing to the right of the sleep wake button (when held in portrait mode)? It's very hard to see but i can see mine in direct light.

7. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I just got my case today for my iPad and i don't think I will be getting a screen protector for mine. The case should protect it fairly well as long as you still take some care with it. I mean if you are relaxing on floor doing something with your iPad and your dog runs around chasing a ball, and his claws hits the screen that could cause a scratch. So as long as you use common sense I see no reason why you would really need one at this point as long as you bought the Apple iPad Case. It protects it enough.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well in that video the dude scrapes a giant nail up and down the screen and it didn't scratch. If you're going to be rougher than that with it you probably have some serious issues anyway.

9. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I should watch that video again.

10. getbigg21 Guest

I got Ghost Armor on it from Best Buy. I think it will be the best thing I could have done for it. I also have it on my iPhone 3GS and I'm glad that I did. There has never been any bubbles on it, etc. Normally takes about 24 hrs for it to settle on it and it's all good from there.

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

About 1:30 in.

12. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Well crap. I just paid $40 for one of those invisible shield screen protectors :rolleyes:

13. mstout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Guys! I'm not getting one. Now about the back...Hmmmmm.

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I was debating getting a screen protector too but just walked out with the Apple case. $40 each is a lot of money!