Do I need a screen protector on 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by markw10, Jan 10, 2012.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded from a 3G to a 4S. On my 3G I was using a Screen Protector and felt it was necessary but how necessary is it to get a screen protector for the 4S?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

The iPhone 4S screen can get scratched just like the 4, 3GS and prior models.

Some people don't mind scratches and blemishes, and some people do, so this is purely your decision.

If you felt it was necessary to use one on your 3G, then I would guess the same would apply to your shiny new 4S as well ;)

Cheers,

RTP.

4. phi7588 macrumors member

5. juux macrumors newbie

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have tried almost very brand on the market. I CAN NOT apply them without bubbles.

I gave up. Only screen protection on my 4S is the Otterbox defender when out and about if it's wet.

Same goes for my 4.....No scratches, so mine is naked.

7. greengold macrumors newbie

I prefer naked. Take care of it and shouldn't be a problem.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I prefer not to use a screen protector as well.

I too am unable to install a screen protector without bubbles. If I were going to get one, I would either have a Zagg installed by Best Buy or the Zagg cart at the mall or I would let the tech at AT&T do it.

I have had the 3GS, the 4, and now the 4S and yes, the screens CAN scratch. You may be lucky and have it not happen to you, but that's the gamble you take.

Otterbox is also a good option. Their warranty support is great.

9. tommot82 macrumors regular

10. iDeviceBlogger macrumors newbie

No matter how good the screen protector is is, there's always some loss of touch sensitivity I think. So it's not worth it for me, a phone is meant to be used.

11. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Of course, the luxury of having a screen protector is priceless. I can clean screen with moist towel or even water droplets every week to keep it smooth and clear. Without one you risk the chance of water interfering.

Virtually no drawbacks for a screen protector, its not even expensive, and gives you that peace of mind, I don't know how I could go on a day without it.

Air bubbles can easily be avoided with a credit card and a smooth cloth*

12. spin360 macrumors member

For those that have problems with applying the screen protector, run your shower on hot for 5-10 min to get the bathroom steamy. Then take your phone and screen pro in the bathroom and apply it. The moisture will help keep the dust down.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have invisible shield on front and back. I like them. Some people complain about the orange peel like but I noticed that only happens on their "Wet" ones and not the "Dry" ones. Furthermore, I was able to easily scratch the back of my Black iPhone 4S with no protector on.

14. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Use powersupport, I have been using the antiglare/matte versions since Iphone 3G... so years... never had issues..

1. Apply the screen protector as soon as you remove the factory film.

2. Follow instructions use the pre-film and apply as u would the real thing it helps with the dust etc

3. Even before you apply pre-film you should CLEAN your iphone IF you have been using it w/o a film. This mean VERY denatured alcohol or something like Iklear.

For me I avoid problems by installing when the phone is minty new and when I remove the factory protector. And because powesupprt is rigid you can solve dust issues with some good scotch tape. I specify scotch tape because some tapes out there r soft, have weird glue that leaves residue.

15. jacob11 macrumors member

You defiantly need a protector, because it saves the screen from getting scratched.

16. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

I have the SGP ultra optics screen protector and it's awesome! I got it on amazon it was about 22 for 2 of them but it's definitely worth it. I was able to install it and remove the air bubbles with a squeegee card that comes with it.. I'm still debating on whether or not I need a back screen protector, since I use a case and so far I just need to clean it every couple of days.

17. scousers macrumors member

I used one by powersupport (the glossy one) for 2 weeks before i got pissed off at the reduced touch sensitivity and how hard it was to clean the screen protector so i tossed it in the trash. just be careful with the phone and even if it does get a little scratch on the screen they are made to be used not displayed in an airtight cabinet!:)

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Fight the power! Be defiant! ...use a screen protector?

19. Maury macrumors 6502

All models after the 3G have the new "oleophobic" glass, which makes it super-easy to wipe off fingerprints. It's magical. Seriously.

Covering that with a $2 piece of plastic? Ugggg. I'll take the occasional scratch, thanks.

The 4 and 4S up the ante by using Gorilla Glass, which is very hard to scratch. In the last year of very hard use without a protector and putting in my jeans pocket with my keys, my 4 picked up exactly one scratch. It is very small, invisible with the screen on, and only *just* visible with it off if you turn it so it reflects sunlight.

So no, you don't *need* a protector, and don't *want* one either.

20. monkeymajik macrumors newbie

monkeymajik

screen protector is waste of money.

in some cases, it's affect touchscreen capabilities..

21. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You don't need one. My iPhone 4s is only a few weeks old, but my 1st gen iPod Touch has never had a screen protector, never been scratched, and I've beat the heck out of it.

On the other hand, my iPhone 4s is currently inside an Otterbox Defender case, so take that as you will. ;)