Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
So, basically, I'm thinking of buying a desktop computer (instead of a laptop, as some of you may noticed). Would I need a second modem to accomadate for my computer? We already have a modem, and my computer will be in a seperate room. I know that I could get a router connected to this computer and then have an adapter connected to the computer I'm thinking of getting, to let it recieve wifi signals, but I'd rather use a wired connection.

Thoughts?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
No, you can't really use two modems together.

What you need is a router. Or even an ethernet switch.

The router doesn't have to be wireless, it could be wired. Most routers have a wireless/wired option.

The diagram is sort of like the following:

ISP Internet service to your house ------->Modem ------->Router----> *Computer1 and computer2*.

A standard router has 4 LAN ports on the back, and a wireless option. You can choose to disable the wireless option, and work only with the LAN ports.

Connect the modem to your router by using the WAN port (I think? I don't remember exactly what it's called, but it's the 'lone port'), and then connect your computers to 1 and 2.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The router is all you'll need. Be prepared to pay up the ass if you want to use a second modem instead, as you'd need two accounts.

A wireless router + 4 LAN ports is what you need, just plug the desktop into one of the LAN ports, while your laptop can continue using Wi-Fi.

iMacs, and Mac Minis have ethernet ports as well as AirPort for Wi-Fi, so its your option to use what you want.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Thanks for the replies.

So I'll need a router after all... The computer I'm planning on buying will be on an entirely different floor than the main one that is nearest the modem, so should I just not bother with a wired connection as that would be too much work and use the wireless?

Last edited:

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Wired will always be faster.

While this is true, for 99.999% of the populace, a wifi connection is more than fast enough. I stream HD video (without issue or a delay) throughout my home and share my wireless connection with 3 computers, 2 iPhones an AppleTV and an iPod Touch using an Airport Extreme Base Station.

I wholeheartedly vote wireless.

I bought my AEBS back in 2007 as my very first wireless router and it has worked flawlessly. I may upgrade next year, just to go with a dual-band version, but not because there is really anything wrong with my original single-band unit. I highly recommend it for ease of use and its set-it-and-forget-it simplicity.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the replies.

So I'll need a router after all... The computer I'm planning on buying will be on an entirely different floor than the main one that is nearest the modem, so should I just not bother with a wired connection as that would be too much work and use the wireless?

If you have all Macs, I highly recommend the Airport Extreme base station. Best investment ever. Never really had to restart the router since it has been in service, compared to other routers.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Wish I had all Macs. But I don't.

I have a Lenovo laptop, imac mini, MacBook, AppleTV, Wii and various iPhones all connecting with my Airport Extreme with no issues. PC/Mac/DirecTV/Kindle/etc... they will ALL connect, it doesn't matter who makes the router.

That said, I must echo the above posts and say that the AE is the best router solution, hand-down. Truly set-it-and-forget-it. The ease of use and reliability make the extra price so worth it.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The airport extreme is expensive, but it is very fast and very reliable. Don't know why it's different than others, but it's the best I have had experience with.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
fortunately you don't have to have a mac to pick up the wireless signal from an Airport Extreme base station
I have a Lenovo laptop, imac mini, MacBook, AppleTV, Wii and various iPhones all connecting with my Airport Extreme with no issues. PC/Mac/DirecTV/Kindle/etc... they will ALL connect, it doesn't matter who makes the router.

That said, I must echo the above posts and say that the AE is the best router solution, hand-down. Truly set-it-and-forget-it. The ease of use and reliability make the extra price so worth it.
The airport extreme is expensive, but it is very fast and very reliable. Don't know why it's different than others, but it's the best I have had experience with.
Even if it is worth the money, I think it's a little out of my budget. Maybe sometime later. Currently I'm thinking about a Linksys router, they seem to be highly reviewed.

Anyone know how difficult a wired connection would be? Would I just use the ethernet port and connect it to the desktop?(Sorry, dramatically confused.)

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Even if it is worth the money, I think it's a little out of my budget. Maybe sometime later. Currently I'm thinking about a Linksys router, they seem to be highly reviewed.

Anyone know how difficult a wired connection would be? Would I just use the ethernet port and connect it to the desktop?(Sorry, dramatically confused.)

Yes, but like you said your computer is on another level. That might be hard to do.

But yes, it's as simple as just plugging in an ethernet cable to the back of the computer and the back of the router. Your computer SHOULD automatically read from the LAN, but if it doesn't, then I think you have to disable wireless.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
If you're set on wired, this may be a reasonable solution. I'm not sure how it affects speed, though, so it might defeat the purpose...

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
^^I'm not set on a wired connection.

^We do not own a router. So I'd have to buy one, which is kind of what I am trying to refrain from by using a wireless connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.