Do I need a shell, screen protector, or keyboard protector for my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtthwcmn1, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I already have a 15" neoprene sleeve from my last gen macbook pro, but was wondering if one of those speck covers would be worth it. I was also debating between a moshi ivisor and a keyboard cover. I rarely leave home with my laptop. What protection do you use?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

No you do not need any protection.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Condoms.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

those accessories are expensive whne u add em all up

there not "necessary" but an option.

i went all out, incase canvas sleeve, incase canvas backpack , speck see thru clear, moshi palmgaird, moshi clearguabrd. a protector for the screen is stupid IMO. its glass so its very tough and in terms of preventing finger prints...dont touch the ********** screen.

my stuff sounds alot but my macbook pro still looks dam sexy and out of everything i only reocmend a sleeve. everything else is optional

also note im a student so i take my macbook everywhere

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

No to the items you mention. What is a good solution to protect your Mac is a sleeve within a good computer carrying case. The reason I suggest a sleeve is Macs are so thin, it will take up the extra space in the case and provide additional protection in the event you drop it.

I carry mine everyday, and once out of the sleeve, have nothing to protect the aluminum. It's too beautiful to cover, with reasonable care scratches or dents are not something to worry about.

If Apple wanted you to cover it they would say so. The aluminum is part of the cooling, so covering it impedes airflow over the surface.

All of mine look as good as new.

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I'd get a keyboard cover (silicone one not the plastic). My girlfriend got the plastic one and her keys were wearing away(getting shiny), I have the silicone ones and my keys were as good as new after 1 year. + the silicone one isn't bad to type one compared to a plastic one

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a $2 keyboard protector from Amazon. It's extraordinarily crappy (white paint that doesn't line up with the backlight) but it works. I use one because I like to eat things while using my computer, and I'm tired of feeling a crunching noise as the key crushes some old piece of long-forgotton Dorito.

Also, I bought a Moshi Codex case for both my 13" and 15" Macs. It's hard (you can lean on it with your elbow without fear), convenient (you can use the laptop in the case), and looks damn nice. It has memory foam on the inside and a carrying handle. It's a bit pricy (bought mine for $70 + $4 overnight shipping on Amazon) but it's well worth it.

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I bought this for $17.50 from HongKong, Does what its suppose to and I'm very happy with it, Provides protection from scratches and other dings from outside and also comes with great silicon keyboard protection that I have been thankful for having. Keeping my Keyboard keys nice and clean along with their matte finish in pristine condition. After just 1 week of use I started noticing the Matte finish getting all shiny from use, anyway you don't have to buy it if you don't want to but I did and I'm pleased with it because couple years down the road when I want to sell my laptop to upgrade to a newer model it will help me get decent return($$) on my MBP.

9. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

The Moshi Keyboard protector is made out of plastic... Are you saying don't get the Moshi one?

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

lol?

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No. Whether you want them is an entirely separate matter and for you to determine.

Worth is always a highly subjective matter. Have you searched/Googled at all? Some find them to be worthwhile. Others do not. We can't tell you where your preference will lie. Read up and see if they sound like something that would suit you.

Nothing on my MBP. Again, it's a subjective matter. What I (or anyone else for that matter) uses doesn't matter. Use what you want.

12. aCondor macrumors 6502

I use an InCase shell to prevent scratches and allow me to be more physical with my MBP without worry. But, of course, its up to you.
    IMO screen and keyboard protectors are a step too far, but as they are so cheap does it really matter? Try one out, if you don't like it, don't use it.

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Answers to your questions are very dependent on your usage habits. Do you eat or drink around your MBP? If so, get a keyboard protector. It will help prevent liquids from getting inside if you spill something. If you're rarely going to take it from the house then you probably don't need a shell. Just a sleeve or nice laptop bag for the occasions when you do go out, and be careful when you're moving it around the house.

The only things I have are a Moshi Palmguard and a decal on the top (because we have 3 MBPs at my house that look almost exactly the same. Helps me tell which one is mine with just a glance). Other than that, just a nice laptop bag.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use

The Speck clear full body kit on my MBP and my MBA. I think it's essential if you want to keep your machine in scratch free condition.

I know a few scratches wouldn't bother many here,but I'm super fussy about my stuff, and since both my Air and my Pro frequently visit recording studios where beer,wine etc flows free, I regard the covers as essential.

15. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

pretty much lol my girlfriend got a logiix one which is plastic and its crap im guessing the moshi one is the same . the cheap chinese ones for $1 feel better

16. diannao macrumors regular

It depends, of course.

I relegated my 15" to home use and took off the speck shell. Pretty soon it had a long scratch on the bottom cover from something.

If you're unlucky like me, and don't want your MBP scratched up, I recommend a shell, palmguard, and trackpad protector. A keyboard protector is good if you'll be using your computer near liquids.

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

disagre

moshi one is made of polyetherance, a veyr thing flexable plastic material, uch better than the silicone crap for keyboard covers

its transparent and the best one tot ype on

hope this helps!

18. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I use a Speck case and Moshi keyboard protector. My computer's exterior and keyboard look brand new and I'm not concerned when I accidentally carry the MBP and it hits a doorway or something.

I have an MBA in a thinner Speck and I actually dropped it on the floor. The case cracked, but the MBA was thankfully okay.

19. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

The MacBook Pro is beautiful and perfect the way it is, especially if you baby it like I do. I carry mine in a Brenthaven bag (which is very nice) between home and office daily. Putting a case on it would be like putting a full length fur coat onto a swimsuit model.

----------

Sorry, to answer your question, no you don't, IMO

20. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Do you mean you rarely leave home without it?

Reasonable care and reasonable behavior go a long way to protecting any laptop. I guess the question is what kind of risk does it get exposed to and where is that risk occurring?

Personally my macbook air just goes into a standard laptop carrier. That's it ...

I don't believe in stashing any laptop inside a big backpack filled with other stuff (books etc) that's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

----------

Looks like the typing part is working really great!

21. randomrazr macrumors 65816

funny

22. cgallant725 macrumors newbie

I'm going to agree with the sleeve route. I have used sleeves on my MacBooks since I got mine in '08. It protects it during transport. The black keys do show oils from fingers so you can use a cover for that but I just wipe mine down with monster cleaner every once and a while. I don't like the idea of shells since I like the aluminum look of the laptops.

Incase padded sleeve all the way. No screen protector, no shell

23. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I got an orangle plastic shell that protects the bottom and the top. I dont want any dings or scratches. It looks very cool in orange. Im thinking of green too. The one i have also has snap down legs at the back so it gives a nice angle when typing on a table. For $18 it cant be beat and is the best protection. It came with an orange keyboard protector but i cant type with one of those things on. Its like a condom. No tactile feel.