Do I need a smart TV if buying Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jshannon01, Nov 1, 2015.

1. jshannon01 macrumors member

jshannon01

2. normanfox macrumors 6502a

3. Rigby macrumors 601

Only if you need something that isn't available on Apple TV (like Amazon Prime or Vudu). But even then you're probably better off buying a cheap Roku or something. Apart from that the Apple TV has a much nicer and more fluid UI than most smart TVs.

4. mattDC5R, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

mattDC5R macrumors member

I'd say this is the most valid point. The operation of the smart TVs functions i have always found to be very ordinary, and slow. Alas I'd think it would be hard to buy a TV these days that aren't "Smart".

5. jshannon01 thread starter macrumors member

jshannon01

6. Rigby macrumors 601

If you decide to go with a "dumb" TV, just make sure that you have enough HDMI inputs. The model you linked has only 2 inputs. If you e.g. want to connect a cable box and a disc player and not use an A/V receiver, there's no input left for a streaming box ...

7. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

ATV4 makes your TV dumb. Don't waste your money. Buggy, crashing, pile of worthlessness.

8. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

smart tvs suck! don't buy that junk trust me!

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have a smart TV...is soooooo slow to do anything. I should have just bought a dumb TV and hooked a box up to it to give it smart features

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I disagree.

Vudu is a featured app in the App Store.

11. fortheus macrumors regular

You better buy dumb tv and hook it with roku or apple tv. Sadly, I can't find dumb tv anymore in Singapore with good quality display

12. cmcclure88 macrumors member

cmcclure88

Vudu is NOT on the Apple TV yet.

13. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Avoid Smart TV's at all costs. An HDTV can last 10 years, the apps in these Smart TV's are a year old by the time the TV's shop and they never get updated and are therefore obsolete the moment you open the box.

BJ

14. RhythmAndBlues macrumors regular

My experience, also. Shockingly crap. So much so that I can't use many of its allegedly 'smart' features, because they're just too unwieldy and agonisingly slow.

Bloody useless.

15. chipchen macrumors 6502

SmartTVs are crap. They are slow, buggy, and all around inconvenient. Too many menu options that can't be turned off. We have some at work that I would throw out the window if we could replace them with dumb TVs.

16. ZMRoach, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

I can't remember the last time I saw a tv worth buying that wasn't "smart". Just get the tv that works best for you and add the services box that's right for you. Then just forget about those "smart" features.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That's because you have not yet downloaded the Vudu app. The Vudu app is on my TV 4 because I downloaded it.

18. jshannon01 thread starter macrumors member

jshannon01

19. jljue macrumors regular

If you get a SmartTV and intend to use the Smart TV functions, you will want to look one with Roku or Fire built-in. Granted, these aren't the top of the line models, but they are fine for most people and have platforms that are typically first or 2nd to get the new streaming services. Between the Roku built into my TCL 4K TV and my Apple TV4, I pretty much have all services covered.

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My wife got a free gift from work and she picked the TCL 32inch with ROKU. We just wanted to try it but we mainly use the Apple TV 4 Box. The Apple TV picked 1080P and the quality is poor. I tried changing to one of the lower numbers but still 1080p (maybe 60 down to 50 or something like that) and I think it got a little better but not much. I assume your 4K is much better but would you have any idea why the quality is poor. I know it was pretty cheap model but did expect better quality. I have not tried any of the Roku Built in Apps to verify the quality. Maybe I can force it to 720P in the Roku menu if you think that would help. Thanks.