Do I need a thermal cable if I add an SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ataraxia25uk, Dec 26, 2014.

1. ataraxia25uk macrumors newbie

I am looking to add a 256gig SSD to my 2011 21.5" iMac using the second SATA port.

I know I will need a thermal cable for the new HDD but do I need one for the SSD, too.

It's not a huge deal as the cables are only £45, but it will nearly double the price of the SSD as I got a Crucial 256 gig MX500 for £56.

Grateful for any advice.

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if i understand correctly

you will still need to attach the existing thermal wire to the SSD as well.

otherwise it will show up as an error on apple diagnostics / apple hardware test and someone down the road will not know what you did and have to spend money to repair something that is not needed!

i think the iMac has a thermal wire going to the hard disk, just like the mac mini.

if it doesn't have a thermal wire installed at all, then i wouldn't install one, probably expensive
    and not needed cuz the ssd doesn't heat up like a hdd

hard disks don't need new thermal wires you just need to carefully remove the existing thermal wire and more it to the new hard drive

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i don't think you need one

unless the fans ramp up and clearing smc won't help

but i don't think it will pass a.h.t. without a wire

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

FYI Other World Computing sells a kit with all the wire harness and other parts to install a SSD (and replace the stock HD without the fan going crazy.) At some point, if I get brave enough to open the iMac myself, I intend to use these to install a SSD/upgrade HDD.

5. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I removed the internal HD from my 2011 21.5" iMac and replaced it with a 512GB Crucial SSD. The fans blare at full pelt unless I run MacsFanControl. Been running that for a year and it's been amazing the difference in speed. Replacing the internal HD beats removing the logic board to put the SATA cable in the back. I tried that and fried the power supply so didn't try it twice after repair. Note that I'm techie and work for a hardware manufacturer but the 21.5" is just too cramped to work with.

6. redbear1958 macrumors newbie

I put a ssd in my 2011 27" iMac as a second drive. I did not need the thermal wire as I left the other drive in

7. ataraxia25uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting the new drives installed.

8. periscop macrumors newbie

thermal cable adding SDD

Hi,

I am doing the same as you did. Replacing my 500 GB HDD in my mid-2011 21.5 inch imac by a 2TB barracuda and adding a 500 GB SSD.

Have you installed the drives?

Did you need a thermal sensor for the SSD?
    have you put the OWC kit with the thermal sensor for the HDD?

thanks

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

Do I need a thermal cable if I add an SSD?

You will need the OWC thermal sensor cable ONLY for the drive you replace the original HDD with - be it an SSD or a spinning drive.

The secondary drive won't need a thermal cable - just the SATA connection.