Do I need a windows disc for Parallels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foxtamerind, Nov 9, 2010.

1. foxtamerind macrumors newbie

I just bought a new MacBook Pro with Parallels 6 and I assumed it would have have the Windows OS on it. Either I'm doing something wrong or I need to get a Windows OS installation disc.

Is there somewhere I can find a disc/software for FREE? Or really cheap at least? I don't even care if it's as old as XP.

Thanks,
    J

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need a Windows Installation CD or DVD to install Windows. You might find older versions of Windows XP SP 2/3 on eBay for less than the go in the store.

3. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

College's sell student copies of Windows 7 for $29

4. srexy macrumors 6502a

You can run it from an .iso image also if you've ripped it usings Toast etc. but obviously someone's going to need the original.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Parallels is just the application that provides the virtual machine. You need to provide you own OS, the various flavours of *nix or windows are needed to actual do anything with it.

6. Argon21 macrumors member

No, why would it? How do they know whether you want to run Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Seven, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008? How do they know whether you want a 32 bit edition or a 64 bit edition? Maybe you don't even want Windows and you want to run Linux? Or FreeBSD? Or Solaris? Or Netware? Or...

Parallels is the virtualization software that allows you to run another OS. You have to choose what that OS is going to be, and provide your own installation media.

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

No college sells Windows 7 for $29, that was an offer from Microsoft a long time ago when Windows 7 just came out and I believe that was only an upgrade disc anyway.

8. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

And if you are doing any course that involves programming or Computer Science, and you are going to a place that has an agreement with MS, then you should be able to get access to MSDNAA which lets you get a lot of different Microsoft products (including Windows) for free.

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

There's also the Microsoft Dreamspark website, which many uni students (not just ones doing Computer related courses) can access. It has copies of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008(R2) available to download for free.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Mine does. We also get free copies of Win 7 Ultimate, then we have to pay for for additional licenses.
    And I second dreamspark and MSDNAA. I've gotten the latest versions of everything using MSDNAA/OnTheHub/Ultimate Steal/Bookstore/Dreamspark etc.

11. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Ok, if you say so, but mine does and has since the day Windows 7 was released. They also did that for 5 years for Windows XP/Vista, and Office 2007 and now 2010. :rolleyes:

12. robertbrian23 macrumors member

i plan to use parallels or VMware, but could you recommend a good .iso reader for Mac. i mean like Power ISO or Daemon Tools of windows.
    since i already have the ISOs of windows OS.

Does ISO work as well for bootcamp? please advise.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't need something like PowerISO or Daemon Tools in Mac OS X, as you can mount .iso files in Finder or even Disk Utility and burn them via Disk Utility.

VMWare Fusion can even use an .iso file as source to install from.
    [​IMG]

For installing Windows via Boot Camp, you need the .iso file burned to a CD/DVD (via Disk Utility) or have it extracted onto a USB stick.
    For the latter, there are plenty of threads about this, found via MRoogle

14. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

You can get a legal Windows 7 retail version disc for free off the internet.

Click this link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html

You have different languages, 32bit or 64bit and it's for any version of windows 7 (home premium, ultimate,...). These are all untouched .isos as they come from Microsoft!

However, these are the disks only and you have to buy the license (=serial code) separately.

If not, you can only use it for 30 days (trial mode), that can be legally extended to 120 days:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/extend-the-windows-7-trial-from-30-to-120-days/

There you go...free Windows 7 (any version) for you...and totally legal :). After 120days you have to buy it again...or just reinstall it ;).

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Some colleges offer Windows free under campus licensing.