do i need all these incremental backups?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by oftheheavens, Jul 15, 2008.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

in my back up folder i have incremental backups that are done every month(ish) do i need all these? the folder alone is like 25gb's. can i get rid of some of the older ones/newer ones? what are these for?

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Incremental backups are backups of data that has changed since the last full backup.

So say you make a full backup of 50GB of data. In the interim, 5GB of data changes. This is backed-up. Then another 2GB changes (some the same files as in the 5GB backup and some new files) so that is backed up.

You need to have all the incremental backups in addition to the original full backup to do a full restore, so I would recommend you either do a new full backup (which would allow you to delete all the incrementals from the previous full backup) or keep them all.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I would go further and say that a monthly incremental backup is not enough.

You should do a FULL monthly backup, and then do weekly incrementals. When the beginning of the month comes around, start the cycle again.

I keep typically two-full backup sets if I have the disk space, but you shouldn't delete a previous full backup until the you are sure the latest one worked.

4. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

so can I just save all the back ups to an external HD?

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

where else would you be backing up to? :confused:

6. Deschain macrumors member

You're storing backups on your macbook itself? Besides the fact i didn't know that was possible it doesn't make any sense.

The point of backups is to have them in case something goes wrong (either you need to do a restore, you lost files, harddrive fails and you switch to another mac, etc).

Keeping your backups on the machine you're backing up is like keeping a spare car key in your car, it likely will not going to help you when you need it.

7. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a folder marked "back up" in my hd. I think when I plugged in my external it told me that I would have to format it to mac and I didn't want to loose all my stuff that I had on it. I will just go ahead and format it and free up the 30gb on my HD :)
    :p
    You are right though it is dumb to have a HD backup on your HD:p

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hehe funny!

9. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I set it up to where it doesn'tback up automaticaly to that spot on my HD?

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I don't use TM, so I am not sure. But I would imagine the application/preference panel would allow you to select target for backup. Take a look and check the help that came with the app as well.

11. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Please buy an external drive for your backup. Even a little WD passport. Don't back up on your computer itself. How big is your Hard Drive? Try to mirror its size or you can do what I do, I keep a music backup on a 250 HD and System stuff (all apps and programs other than iTunes, iphoto, and movies) on its own 250 and my photos are on a few DVDs (I don't have many, only about 20GBs) and a big 500GB drive for my ripped movies.

12. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

i already have a WD USB external, i think it is a 320 (could be 350). I backed up my mac to it yesterday and deleted the backups that were on my HD. then i backed up iLife to it as well.

what is the develope folder on my HD? i backed that up to my iDisk and then deleted that off my HD.

i think my macbooks HD is 80gb