Do I need an add-on to make it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Oct 27, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi Guys,
    I just bought, but have not yet been to collect, an old B&W G3 from eBay (item # 310093298447 )
    What I need o know is, do I need some kind of adapter to go between the Mac's monitor port and a standard monitor cable as used on a Windows type PC.
    I don't think I explained that too well.
    Think of it like this. If I have a windows based PC running on my desk and swap the beige Windows box for a Blue and White Mac box, do I need any extra bits to make it all work?
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

BTW, the bit under the actual post about 400 Mhz machine was from my cousin who had a Mac a long time ago but I don't know how to get rid of it.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

That Mac has a standard VGA port. No adapter needed for most CRTs and some early LCDs.

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent news, Jodelli.
    Thank you very much.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If it is working and not wanted then I would perform a clean install of OS X. Then donate it to charity or sell for a couple of dollars on craigslist.

Also install the latest version of Firefox, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, and NeoOffice that the old G3 will run so that the charity or a novice buyer can have a useful fully functioning computer ready to go.

If the computer is dead then cannibalize it for parts for the replacement G3 and list if for free on craigslist or don't bother with cannibalizing it and just list for free on craigslist.

Note: Please if you donate it to charity give them the power cord, install the freeware I mentioned and if possible a mouse and keyboard. They do not have that stuff lying about nor technicians on staff.

edit: I don't know quite how donations work tax wise in Britain. But for a computer that old stateside if you were looking for absolute value the charity tax deduction would be worth more than the craigslist sale price.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In case you meant how to get rid of the signature and not the hardware it describes...

Click User CP underneath the MacRumors logo at the top of the page. Then click "Edit Signature" on the left hand side, and type whatever you'd like in the box and save it. :)

6. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

velocityg4... Many thanks for the well written reply but unfortunately, mkrishnan had it the right way round. My cousin and his Mac disappeared ages ago and it was the script he put on under the post that I wanted to get rid of, not the Mac itself.
    I shall now follow mkrishnan advice and try for my own sig.
    Thanks again,
    Steve