Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Never owned a Mac before and planning to get a MacBook Pro for the first time.

Now I am not concerned about files as I never use cracked software and whatnot, my only concern is, when I am on Windows, let's say I access some shady site (pr0n), my Antivirus would sometimes block a suspicious/malicious connection that site was trying to establish. Makes me feel safe good seeing that the Antivirus blocked such a connection but should I be concerned about such things on a Mac? I would prefer not to use an Antivirus if possible to keep my MacBook Pro running at the max speed.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Macs are generally more prone to malicious apps and executables (as you mentioned), but there are definitely also viruses that can get into your system via malicious websites.

e.g. Web-based iPhone jailbreaks

I think it boils down to whether you’re okay with limiting said web browsing to Windows machines and accepting a margin of risk* when web browsing.

* being much smaller than the risk on Windows due to its popularity

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless you regularly exchange files with Windows users (such as MS Office files), you don't need "anti-virus" protection on the Mac.

There has NEVER been A SINGLE Macintosh "virus" discovered loose "in the wild".
Not one.

You DO need adware/malware protection.
And it's free:

IMPORTANT:
Select the "home" option.
It's a FREE download

IMPORTANT:
You DO NOT NEED TO BUY A SUBSCRIPTION to run MalwareBytes.
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.
When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now".
Just click "Scan Now".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Unless you regularly exchange files with Windows users (such as MS Office files), you don't need "anti-virus" protection on the Mac.

There has NEVER been A SINGLE Macintosh "virus" discovered loose "in the wild".
Not one.

You DO need adware/malware protection.
And it's free:

IMPORTANT:
Select the "home" option.
It's a FREE download

IMPORTANT:
You DO NOT NEED TO BUY A SUBSCRIPTION to run MalwareBytes.
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.
When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now".
Just click "Scan Now".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!
I actually have a lifetime license for the Windows version not sure if that works on the Mac version. I hope that it's an offline scanner though and not running live all the time to slow down my laptop.

And no I won't be exchanging any files with Windows users nor am I interested in Jailbreaking or any non-genuine stuff.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
However, Windows users should have anti-virus software. It's not your fault if they don't.

And, the "market share" theory for why there are "few" (actually, not one) true viruses for the Mac is a fallacy. It's because of the "architecture" of the macOS, (and previously, OSX) based on UNIX.

Reactions: Emanuel Rodriguez

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
However, Windows users should have anti-virus software. It's not your fault if they don't.

And, the "market share" theory for why there are "few" (actually, not one) true viruses for the Mac is a fallacy. It's because of the "architecture" of the macOS, (and previously, OSX) based on UNIX.
Absolutely correct. A lot of people who understand little about computers pull the "market share myth", but as you correctly stated, the UNIX foundation is the primary reason Macs are less prone to viruses. Why? Simplicity is why. Unix provides a simple foundation upon which one can build an operating system. You want simplicity in tech. Humans make mistakes, and the more complex the operating system, the more likely there's a mistake in there somewhere that a hacker could take advantage of. This is why Windows has always had the issues it has always had since the beginning. Microsoft never understood the "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy.

I like to say that UNIX operates something akin to looking both ways before crossing the street. Windows not only looks both ways, but it pulls out the metal detector to scan for mines, as well as an array of sensors to scan for possible airborne contagens, and THEN crosses the street. Part of that is because Windows operates on a wide assortment of hardware, and Microsoft builds in lots of paranoid checks to ensure everything works correctly, or not at all (a likely outcome). It's also why Windows Update is such a modern marvel. But, UNIX proves that the levels of paranoia that Microsoft routinely employs is largely unnecessary.

On top of that, Microsoft tends to love overcomplexity just for overcomplexity sake. Lots of technology they had a hand in creating are unnecessarily complex. Take a look at the RDP standard. It's obscenely complex and capable, but also has been the victim of a variety of attacks in the past due to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fredok
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.