Do I need an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by reckonr, Oct 18, 2011.

1. reckonr macrumors newbie

I currently have three 24" Dell monitors; a MacBook Pro 2009; hefty Windows PC.

I am done with Windows and would like to use OSX as my primary operating system.

However, I like having a 3 monitor setup with my left monitor Vertical.

My MacBook Pro is only able to output to one external monitor which sucks.

I'm also interested in using a 27" monitor as my primary, center monitor; and having the speed of an SSD.

So here are my options:

- Top-of-the-line iMac 27" w/ SSD (comes with two thunderbolt ports) $3500AUD
    - new MacBook Pro 15" + 27" Cinema Display $4000AUD (only supports two external displays - I will not be able to have 3 like the iMac option.

Usage:

- I am a coder. I generally have documentation on the vertical screen, IDE on the main screen and terminal, web browser for testing on the right screen. I'm finding Lion + Spaces a pleasure to use at the moment and not sure I need multiple monitors anymore.

- I am finishing uni this semester and cannot envisage much work on the go anymore - however I often use my MacBook around the house. With my previous setup I always struggled to shift working between MacBook and PC as I'd have to install a bunch of stuff on both machines. However, at the moment I am using my MBP as main computer with one monitor and it is a pain to unplug all the cables when I want mobility. (Desk is messier too)

What do you guys think? Would appreciate all opinions, especially from software developers and current users with the iMac/MacBook combo.

PS. Looking at http://usesthis.com it seems that a lot of people are using 15" MBP or 13" MBA for main computer.

2. Kaenon macrumors regular

Yes, the iMac, as it appears you will be stationary with all the additional monitors. Get as much out of the desktop as possible.
    :apple:

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

If you dont mind me asking, what happened that made you "done with windows"?

Is just that almost everyone has an interesting story behind that.

4. reckonr thread starter macrumors newbie

One big reason is font rendering. It might seem silly but when doing web design, webpages in Windows look completely different to OSX. Windows has sharper fonts but less representative of what they would look like on 300dpi+ print quality. I feel so much more inspired working on a Mac when I can design things that look fantastic. Great aesthetics motivate me a lot and it's clear that all the people who care about design are using Mac's or eventually will be. This was actually the final straw for me.

Another reason is the Terminal. For a programmer, you live in the terminal and Windows has really poor terminal support. Mac is clearly the developer's platform of choice and it's evident as the tooling is so much better for OSX.

The only thing that's held me back has been lack of dual external displays from MacBook Pro, but this has now changed given that the MacBook 15" now supports daisy-chained Thunderbolt displays (which I cannot afford though!)

5. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Interesting, I wonder if there is a thread "why you quit windows", It sure would hold some wonderful stories.

One more thing, why do you have a macbook pro? Do you do some work that the Air woudln be capable of? And if yes, why do you need to have it on mobility, woudnt the MacPro be a better choice?

6. reckonr thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP years ago. It was for uni. Got some great use out of it. Could have easily used a MBA but now my situation has changed.

I still need a portable machine but the question is whether the portable should be my primary computer.

MacPro is too pricey. iMac is cheaper and comes with a 27" monitor which I might find useful.

7. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

There is nothing wrong with having a portable as your primary computer, as long as you are ok with not having 1080p screen. I used notebooks as my primary PC during 3 years, now I have a MacMini with a 1080p display.

BTW, the 17" MBP is not a notebook, that thing is a monster! Im talking about 13" 14" screens. The MacMini is half the size and 3 times lighter...ok Im guessing this specs, but it feels like it.